I'm Sooooo Confused!

MizzThang

Open BIOS > Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration > Serial ATA Configuration and take another screen shot

OK here is the pic in the advanced bios.

NO RAID! :)

YIPEEEEEEE!!!!

post-126676-1192665397_thumb.jpg

Now, I am going to ask a question of all of you.

IF I had a floppy of the drivers that 'legolash2o' had me download in the zip,

I probably would not have had to go through all this sh*t. ooops .. stuff ..

I only have the original install CD and that really does not help. NO floppy :(

So basically what is in that zip file is the same that is on my install CD just updated,

minus the audio drivers? Do I also need to add the Nforce, Gforce, and USB

to the slipstream? What else will I need?

I probably will not add the MS updates, as I usually do not automatically have them install. I choose and pick!

I do not use IE 7 (yuk!) ... and I made the horrid mistake and downloaded the Microsoft.NET and framework.

I do not need that stuff!

I just also want to say that you all are really wonderful!

You have taken some of the mystique out of this Sata/Raid.

I have about 5 projects going at one time here, so I will start backing stuff up,

and do the slipstream (hopefully) after the 1st of the month.

It's gonna take me that long to get everything together LOL!

Of course, I will be checking in here as I really start putting all the 'ducks' in order.

TYTYTY!!!!

We need to see what is under Serial-ATA Configuration, your pic shows one level higher

(You may still need SATA-non-RAID drivers)

Since I have never gone beyond the main windows, what do I do to get to that next level, please?

We need to see what is under Serial-ATA Configuration, your pic shows one level higher

Since I have never gone beyond the main windows, what do I do to get to that next level, please?

Likely: use arrow keys to highlight the entry and hit Enter

If you think that you changed smthing on the way just make sure that you do not save settings when you exit the BIOS

Likely: use arrow keys to highlight the entry and hit Enter

If you think that you changed smthing on the way just make sure that you do not save settings when you exit the BIOS

Thank you!

I'm shutting down for the night. I will get to it 1st thing in the AM!

Night all!!!

I only have the original install CD and that really does not help. NO floppy

So basically what is in that zip file is the same that is on my install CD just updated,

1. So basically what is in that zip file is the same that is on my install CD just updated, minus the audio drivers?

Its just the drivers for your hard drives to work & appear in xp setup, no audio... it also has your RAID so you can integrate them just incase and its safe to integrate both your non-RAID and RAID drivers so why not :)

2. Do I also need to add the Nforce, Gforce, and USB to the slipstream?

What else will I need?

Well thats upto but for your HDD's there all in the .zip, everything else like Graphics, Sound, etc... is optional and is your choice and can easily install them after installation but personally i prefer to integrate them using nlite lol.

Link - Click the link to go to the webpage with all your drivers including onboard audio, USB, LAN if you wanted them too just make sure you change OS from "All OS" to XP (the ASUS servers are slow so it will take time to donwload what you want n no need to download the IDE/RAID drivers as they are included in thre zip)

Edited by legolash2o

I only have the original install CD and that really does not help. NO floppy

1. So basically what is in that zip file is the same that is on my install CD just updated, minus the audio drivers?

Its just the drivers for your hard drives to work & appear in xp setup, no audio... it also has your RAID so you can integrate them just incase and its safe to integrate both your non-RAID and RAID drivers so why not :)

2. Do I also need to add the Nforce, Gforce, and USB to the slipstream?

What else will I need?

Well thats upto but for your HDD's there all in the .zip, everything else like Graphics, Sound, etc... is optional and is your choice and can easily install them after installation but personally i prefer to integrate them using nlite lol.

Link - Click the link to go to the webpage with all your drivers including onboard audio, USB, LAN if you wanted them too just make sure you change OS from "All OS" to XP (the ASUS servers are slow so it will take time to donwload what you want n no need to download the IDE/RAID drivers as they are included in thre zip)

Well it looks like I really do NOT have RAID! TG!

That really eases my mind, you can't even imagine!

I already have the new drivers for:

Audigy 2 ZS, nForce 570 SLI/570/550 - 9.16_nforce_winxp_international_whql.exe,

GForce 162.18 but I am not installing that if I don't have to. I will install the v.94.24.,

I do NOT like their new control panel AT ALL!!! I also have the USB2 update.

So I am on a roll when I am ready to do this :)

The plot thickens: you have no RAID but you DO have your SATA controller enabled.

My educated guess is you have two choices:

1. Turn the SATA controller off and work in emulated IDE mode. That means no driver, you can install vanilla WinXP SP2, but your HDD data rate may be limited to UDMA 5 (100 Mbps).
    Leave the SATA controller on. That means you need a driver and can obtain, in theory, a SATA II data rate (300 Mbps).

You can experiment with this after copying all your essential data to the second disk, DISCONNECT THAT DISK FROM THE MOTHERBOARD, and perform some test installs. The differences in performance may be hardly noticeable.

If you want the SATA mode, probably the best way to figure this out further, is downloading the "Make NVIDIA 32bit SATA RAID Driver" driver from the ASUS site and use a vanilla WinXP SP2 installation, the F6 method to integrate the driver, and document the SATA/RAID related dialog. After having that we may help you out further.

Good luck.

PS HDD driver integration is one of the most convulated parts of the WinXP installations. It would indeed be good to have a tutorial.

Edited by BikinDutchman

The plot thickens: you have no RAID but you DO have your SATA controller enabled.

My educated guess is you have two choices:

1. Turn the SATA controller off and work in emulated IDE mode. That means no driver, you can install vanilla WinXP SP2, but your HDD data rate may be limited to UDMA 5 (100 Mbps).
    Leave the SATA controller on. That means you need a driver and can obtain, in theory, a SATA II data rate (300 Mbps).

You can experiment with this after copying all your essential data to the second disk, DISCONNECT THAT DISK FROM

Talking about throwing a monkey wrench into the picture :(

ACK!

I am going to talk to my computer store guy about that one.

I don't want slower disks!

Sounds wayyyy to complex!

Tell me something ... Would it not be logical to pull the drivers off the original install CD,

onto the slipstream? Then do the necessary updates, which I already have.

I did use that disk once, but I need to know exactly what to pull.

I am very surprised they didn't give me a floppy!

Then there would be NO questions at all.

I could not find a thing. I tried a variety of search terms even joining the words and using *:

Integration_of_nVRaid_drivers_into_XP_W2k_and_W2k3_(32-bit)

Integration_of_nVRaid_drivers_into_XP*

Integration_of_nVRaid_drivers*

I could not find a thing. I tried a variety of search terms even joining the words and using *:

Why don't you just double click the links given by legolash2o?

lol dont search "Integration_of_nVRaid_drivers_into_XP_W2k_and_W2k3_(32-bit)" thats way too specific, just put something simple like "RAID", "SATA", "NvRAID" (without the quotes, i put in RAID and got quite alot)

Tell me something ... Would it not be logical to pull the drivers off the original install CD,

You can try, but drivers on the origal CD are generally out of date. The first thing I do after opening the box is tossing the driver CD.

I recommend you try a test install with Windows XP SP2 (vanilla: no slipstream, no tweaks, nothing) on an unused partition. If that works you need no drivers.

However, I am a little curious about your disk managament screen shot; I see no drive letters on the HDD, and no System or Boot volume, just one Active volume. DISK1/PARTITION 1 has no volume name.

-What drive letters, volume names show up if you open My Computer?

-What version of windows do you have? Any other operating systems (LINUX etc)?

-In what partition is the \Windows folder actually located?

-What are the other partitions used for (no content details, just something like file storage)?