Fusion-io ioDrive

This definitely sounds cool. Excluding price, it's definitely a better option than the Gigabyte iRAM (or other devices like it). Although, I don't see it replacing any SANs anytime soon (for various reasons):

1. No expandability unless multiple cards in a single computer are seen as one drive.

2. It can only be accessed by one server where SANs can have multiple servers connected.

3. I don't see any way to use it in a failover cluster environment.

They also mention it's cost effectiveness. It's definitely not cheaper than an external SAS setup (excluding the server price since you'd have to have that either way). An external SAS setup can also hold several times more data.

At any rate, it's definitely a cool idea and I think we'll start seeing more and more stuff like this in the next 5-10 years. Imagine using NAND flash based drives in a SAN!

I'm sure enthusiasts with money to burn will be all over the 40GB and 80GB versions.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

...Pricing is around $30 per gigabyte retail...

That´s sure not to expensive if there will be 4GB versions for some 150 US$...

--- EDIT ---

If it´s only the 640GB version... auch... 19,200 US$. :wacko:

According to the table at the bottom there will be 40GB, 80GB, 160GB, 320GB and 640GB versions. At $30/GB that puts the 40GB at about $1200 and the 80GB at about $2400. The next question would be: "Can you boot from it?".

check out their demo

There demo, tjeez... :whistle:

Actually...he was right. It's their demo. :D

I wish they would've actually shown the file copies instead of just some numbers though.