Windows 98 IE 6 and FTP downloads

Sfor

I have a strange problem with downloading files using IE 6 SP1 from Windows 98 systems. The funny thing is the same links are working correctly from Windows 2000 and IE 6 SP1.

Im trying to understand where this difference is comming from. Since it works in Windows 2000, it should (in theory) work in Windows 98.

I had this issue long ago with some ftp servers myself. Disabling the passive ftp mode seemed to have worked for me at the time. Option can be found through internet options -> advanced

Edited by Chozo4

That was the problem. It works correctly now.

The interesting thing is all my Windows 98 computers have this issue. So, it is somehow related to the default IE 6 setup settings for Windows 98, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

The "Enable FTP folder view" needs to be disabled from the Internet Options control panel app.

This option whether enabled or disabled should work correctly with Win98 + IE 5.x.

For Win98 + IE6.x, this option does not work correctly. Those using IE6 under Win98/ME/NT4

should look for the MSIEFTP.DLL file in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder and rename or delete

that file to disable FTP Folder View and retry the FTP site in IE.

I had this issue long ago with some ftp servers myself. Disabling the passive ftp mode seemed to have worked for me at the time. Option can be found through internet options -> advanced

If you are using a firewall or DSL/cable internet connection, Passive FTP should be enabled

you may also want to check your firewall settings if you installed a firewall and enable inbound and outbound FTP connections with your firewall program

• 4 years later...

The "Enable FTP folder view" needs to be disabled from the Internet Options control panel app.

This option whether enabled or disabled should work correctly with Win98 + IE 5.x.

For Win98 + IE6.x, this option does not work correctly. Those using IE6 under Win98/ME/NT4

should look for the MSIEFTP.DLL file in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder and rename or delete

that file to disable FTP Folder View and retry the FTP site in IE.

This solution did not work at all for either versions of IE.

• 2 weeks later...