Microsoft network shutting down

Teh_Messiah

:hello: Hi I'm new here.

I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant to this particular problem. My computer randomly and irregularly shuts down the network connection. I don't know why it does it and I don't understand, it makes no sense why it happens.

I have an MSI K9N Neo motherboard, which runs on NVIDIA nForce 550 series chipset with an AMD AM2 socket dual core Athlon 64 x2 3800+ processor. I have all the latest genuine drivers for it.

After running for a while I lose my connection to my ADSL router because of this network shut down and I can't repair the connection either. The only way I can fix the problem is to restart my computer.

Please Help.

:realmad: This is so frustrating.

If you need any more information i am willing to post it here but i don't know what you need to know to help me out here.

Some things to do to better pin point the problem. You state that you have the latest drivers installed, have you read the change log for these to see if it is a known issue? Make sure your Windows XP installation is fully up-to-date. Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware solution running? If so, perform a full system scan. If not, download one, update the software and perform a full system scan. Reboot the machine and once up and running again close all applications and kill all processes which are not needed. See if your network connection stays up this time. Check your router configuration. Check your firmware change log to see if this is a known problem. Update your router to use the latest firmware. If you use custom firmware, switch to the latest official firmware so that you can exclude the router as being the problem. Make sure to read the latest change log of this firmware first though. Please reply to let us know if this changed anything or what the outcome was. Good luck!

Also check your Event Viewer after you loose connection and see if there is any errors related to TCP/IP. You may have problem with Maximum unfinished simultaneous connection. I had similar problem and then I used TCP/IP patch to increase number of connection from 10 (windows default) to 100. Now I don't have any problems.

You can find patch here. Also make sure that service DHCP Client is set to start Automatically.

Cheers ;)

Like mara said i would check event viewer and try the mtu registry hack. However, that hack mainly worked before windows xp. Windows xp rarely need that hack, at least from my experience. Which begs the question: are you using xp's built in pppoe ethernet support or a 3rd party program?

-gosh

Is this router provided by your ISP? Is it also your DSL modem or is that a separate part?

Are other computers connected to this router as well?

Do you connect to it with an ethernet cable or a wireless connection?

Can you ping the router?

If you try to renew your IP address, does it give you an error?

What is the make and model of this router?

What version of Windows are you using?

We use K9N Neo boards here all the time and have not experienced this problem. We use both original and V3 models. FYI to those interested, original uses nForce chipset for NIC, V3 uses modified Realtek 8139. We have not tried using Vista on these boards but have found that the network does not work properly on other MSI models.

Ok,

I am running winXP service pack 2, i am running Comodo firewall pro, AVG Free (updated daily), AVG Antispyware. AVG Free runs scans daily at midnight and have found nothing, the last anti spyware scan came up with nothing serious, just usual cookies, I also run C Cleaner (which is updated regularly) every time i am finished surfing the net to get rid of all rubbish left behind.

No i haven't read the changes to the updated nVidia drivers.

I only ever have the minimum programs running since i play online games. Anything that runs in the background slows things down. I know this machine is pretty new but its a habit i have from when i had a POS pc.

I wouldn't have thought the router would be the problem since i don't have to restart the router to get my connection back.

My Router/modem is a Dynalink RTA 1335, 4 port hub / ADSL modem. My computer is the only one running on it at the moment. I rarely have 2 computers running on it and this one seems to be the only one having connection problems on it ever. I updated the firmware for the router a few months ago, they don't update it very often.

What am i checking in the router configurations for exactly?

Is this router provided by your ISP? No.

Is it also your DSL modem or is that a separate part? Yes it is the modem too.

Are other computers connected to this router as well? No.

Do you connect to it with an ethernet cable or a wireless connection? it is a cable hub not a wireless one.

Can you ping the router? I havent tried pinging the router when the network goes down, i will try next time it does.

If you try to renew your IP address, does it give you an error? i have had an error several times when trying to reconnect but i cant remember what it is.

What is the make and model of this router? Dynalink RTA 1335

What version of Windows are you using? i have windows home edition, 32 bit version even though the system is a 64 bit system. I checked updates an hour ago and there was nothing that had anything to do with the network. Only Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2007 (KB890830) and Root Certificates Update.

:realmad: It just happened again, so i tried to remember what you all asked me to do before i restarted the system.

First i tried to repair and this is what i got

network#1.jpg

I tried pinging the router and it came up with the fact that it couldn't find it.

I then searched the event viewer to try and work it out but i didn't understand what i fount which was this,

This was from the system log,

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Dhcp

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1003

Date: 08/10/2007

Time: 20:58:53

User: N/A

Computer: TEH_MESSIAH_2

Description:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0016178F50C9. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 79 00 00 00 y...

Event Type: Error

Event ID: 1000

Time: 20:58:53

Description:

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.1.2 on the Network Card with network address 0016178F50C9.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: BROWSER

Event ID: 8033

Time: 20:58:55

Description:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{68FB6602-6AC3-48E1-86F0-4913829953F1} because a master browser was stopped.

Event Type: Warning

Event ID: 1007

Time: 21:00:18

Description:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0016178F50C9. The IP address being used is 169.254.101.15.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Event Source: W32Time

Event ID: 17

Time: 21:00:21

Description:

Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.nist.gov,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Event Source: W32Time

Event ID: 29

Time: 21:00:21

Description:

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

This was from the Security log,

Event Type: Failure Audit

Event Source: Security

Event Category: Policy Change

Event ID: 615

Time: 20:58:55

User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Description:

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Does this help anyone know whats going on?

I don't know what to do about it, :wacko:

See my reply earlier and especially what I wrote about your router. Update to the latest firmware and check the settings regarding DHCP and lease times of IP-addresses.

There were no update notes on what had been updated and my router now has the most recent firmware and the network crashed again yesterday as i assumed it would since i have never had to reset the router, only the computer.

This is because the network on my computer shuts down, not the connection to the router. Its as if the computer's network system/hardware stops working. It doesn't seem to matter if the network is busy or idle. it just randomly crashes!

I discovered that this was something to do with the time updater! must just be a bad link or something :blink:

Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.nist.gov,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

I just changed to other updater site in the clock settings.

Any other ideas? :wacko:

Update to the latest firmware, Done

Check the settings regarding DHCP and lease times of IP-addresses.

DHCP Server On

Lease time 1day 0 hours 0 minutes

What does this mean?

I tried unsuccessfully a while ago to make my network use a fixed ip address with the router, instead of using the standard auto assign address thing.

I cant remember why now but it was over 6 months ago and this network shutting down thing has only been happening for a couple of months.

Have i inadvertently turned something on that i shouldn't?

I cant remember now what i did exactly but i remember that i couldn't get it to work so i just reverted back to what it was previously. In fact i actually remember now that i returned all settings back to default, even on the router so this DHCP thing must be a default setting.

Is it more secure to run a fixed ip address with the router?

If so how do i set it up so it actually works?