Installing XP using Partitions

angel

Hi,

I am getting ready to install XP and would like some advice on using partitions. I have never done this before, but I was reading that it could be a good idea to partition part of your drive (D) and install your data there. That way XP and all the programs could be on one partition ©, Data on partition D and you could create a 3rd partition (Hidden E) to make a copy of C, so that when C is full and corrupted, you just format C and copy your duplicate to C.

Has anyone done this and is this a good idea?

Sharon

If you are not running server its a waste of disk space, and even if you are - get RAID disk system if you'r paranoid about data loss.

For home use, when you are installing XP, format your partition with NTFS file system for better data security and recovery.

depending on size, the reasoning , I just like it that way. Also, with more partitions it gets a bit wacky, I mean going from A-J is ridiculous, especially if your CDROM and/or DVD get all jumbled up in the middle like what happened to me. It suckers arses.

Go with two partitions, one small one rather large, put the OS on the smaller, but leave some room for some things. I tend to put installed programs in the OS partition so leave about 3-4 GIGS there again, depending on your HDD size,

Big Booger

Partition C 5GB, OS/programs etc

Partition D rest, data mp3 etc.

Hidden partitions (copy of C) are a waste of space. If you want to back up C drive then ghost it as an image (can be compressed) to D drive or burn it straight to CDR.

Hi,

I am getting ready to install XP and would like some advice on using partitions. I have never done this before, but I was reading that it could be a good idea to partition part of your drive (D) and install your data there. That way XP and all the programs could be on one partition ©, Data on partition D and you could create a 3rd partition (Hidden E) to make a copy of C, so that when C is full and corrupted, you just format C and copy your duplicate to C.

Has anyone done this and is this a good idea?

Sharon [/quote:e9502f66a1]

Partitioning is a god idea and [b:e9502f66a1]Is not a waste of space[/b:e9502f66a1]. I would suggest that you split your drive into 2 partition 1. being c: for XP and d: being your storage such as mp3, apps installed, or anything else you want to make sure you save. Now about making a copy of c for a back up unless you have a raid motherboard your best and safest way is to get something like nortan ghost which will allow you to make a image f your entire c: drive on to cd's for safe keeping.

[b:e9502f66a1]What size drive do you have?[/b:e9502f66a1]

-XPerties

XPerties-

I have a 19GB harddrive.

I'm glad you responsed because I was about to come to the conclusion that I needed 2 partitions, but was still hesitant. I never thought about using Norton's Ghost. Good idea. I have Norton 2002. Is there an XP version or will my version work? (And the whole 2002 System Works-will they work?)

Also, should I purchase Partition Magic, Commander or just use the MS XP partition that comes with Windows? I don't think I can resize the partitions with the XP version.

Angel

I have Norton 2002. Is there an XP version or will my version work? (And the whole 2002 System Works-will they work?)

Also, should I purchase Partition Magic, Commander or just use the MS XP partition that comes with Windows? I don't think I can resize the partitions with the XP version.

Angel [/quote:57205e59d6]

System Works 2002 is XP compatable, should be there in the documentation or check there web site.

I see no value in partition programs unless you need to resize or move partitions and keep data intack.

I suggest you start from scratch, boot of the XP CDROM, you can delete all partitions and create one for XP, the remainder will be marked as RAW.

You can do what you want with the remainder from within XP. Right click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management.

i prefer to do all mt disk partitions in dos, using a program called fdisk. Just use a 98 start up disk and format and partition your drive as you see fit.make a Dos prime, that will be your C:. then make an extended, then crate a logical drive within the extened..this will be you D:. Its that simple! Give it a try

-drew

XPerties-

I have a 19GB harddrive.

I'm glad you responsed because I was about to come to the conclusion that I needed 2 partitions, but was still hesitant. I never thought about using Norton's Ghost. Good idea. I have Norton 2002. Is there an XP version or will my version work? (And the whole 2002 System Works-will they work?)

Angel [/quote:ec2518432d]

Ok you should probaly go with a 10 gig partition for XP and a 9 gig for your d: drive. Now as drew said that would be your best bet, making your partitions in DOS. If you need extensive help with this, send me a PM and Ill get you on a interactive chat to help explain it better. As far as Systemworks 2002, yes its ok but honestly I lived by that app but then noticed after several formats (i do it for fun...lol) before installing systemworks my resources and ram usage was good but afterwards it was extremely low. So if you just want to do a ghost image then only use Nortan Ghost. But its up to you. Any nortan products that are 2002 are compatibily. One thing not to do is after you have installed XP do not install Partition Magic (all versions)..they say there XP campatibly but a large amount of poeple including myself have experianced crashes and lock downs with XP while using it.As far as system commander Ive never used it and dont know anything about it. Let me know if I can help any more

-XPerties

I appreciate the info.

The only reason I was asking about compatibility with Norton 2002, is that when I tried the upgrade, the advisor told me that Norton Disk Doctor, Image Disk and Registry Tracker could cause compatibility issues. We shall see.

I will try to format the way you suggested. I have two years of data to back up in 30 or so programs.I'm a little afraid of losing something I need by reformating, but at this point I have no choice. Win98 runs slow and is full of junk.

Having a drive D would be a great way to save data separate from he operating system and program installs. That way I can reformat when the system slows down. Sounds like it will take some time to backup, reinstall etc, so I need to start working on my backups. Luckily I do a have a CD Writer. Maybe by next weekend I will be ready for the reformat-I'll let you know if I need more help then.

Thanks, Angel