RunOnceEx entries are added, but never run!

Decker87

I am having a very frustrating problem. I followed the RunOnceEx guide and it seems to have added the entries to the registry correctly:

However, the dang thing just never runs! What in the world is going on here? I expected a nice little dialog like shown in the guide:

But, nothing happens at all. I've checked and re-checked the path to the program. If I copy and paste the value of that regisry key into the "Run" dialog, it works perfectly.

Post your commands for adding the runonceex keys, or a screenshot of the registry key and lets see what you have.

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r...registryiu5.png

RunOnceEx.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SetLocal enableextensions
SET CDROM=%~d0
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%01 /VE /D "WinRar 3.7 Corporate" /f
REG ADD %KEY%01 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\AppDeploy\WinRar37\WinRar37.exe /s" /f

EXIT

cmdlines.txt

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Edited by Decker87

I am having a very frustrating problem. I followed the RunOnceEx guide and it seems to have added the entries to the registry correctly:

However, the dang thing just never runs! What in the world is going on here? I expected a nice little dialog like shown in the guide:

But, nothing happens at all. I've checked and re-checked the path to the program. If I copy and paste the value of that regisry key into the "Run" dialog, it works perfectly.

You dont have IE7 slipstreamed do you? that breaks RunOnce.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple solution:

Replace IE7 version of iernonce.dll (v7.0.2900.20661) with IE6 version (v6.0.2900.2180), but change the version info in this file.

Tools: PEID and few plugins (FixCRC & XNressource editor) or similar tools...

-> take the last IE6 version of iernonce.dll, and edit version ressource: change all version info to 7.9.2900.2180

-> Use FixCRC plugin to fix... the CRC !

-> Makecab this file

-> replace IE7 iernonce.dl_ on the ISO with this one.

I guess i have the same problem a few times before, in the end i found out that it was a update for IE7 that causes it (KB939653) which is the latest. I'm using nlite and i've added IE7 and others as hotfix and my RunOnceEx works fine, so far i've just tried Windows Life Messenger, since i didn't add KB939653 in hotfix, i also include this update in RunOnceEx, tried on VMware and it works, but sometimes it doesn't in real exercise, KB939653 just didn't install but anyway it's just a small set back.

When installin windows xp for the first time, during first logon, RunOnceEx will be activated, just before entering desktop, after it's done it will enter desktop and another set of settings will be started; IE7, WMP11, Themes etc. I guess that's the normal way it works. But my question is if there's any other way i can run this RunOnceEx AFTER it goes in desktop and upadtes all IE7, WMP11, Themes etc.? I think that RunOnceEx will only run during first logon, so i believe i can't do what i wanna do.

I plan to use rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess command line after windows and all hotfixes are installed, that means i must not use the normal way of applying RunOnceEx.cmd at T-13 during installation. So i tried other ways, still i don't know how to apply RunOnceEx.cmd after windows install itself and also activate it.

Another question is, sometimes when RunOnceEx doesn't work as planned, I will test it with rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess after applyin RunOnceEx.cmd, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, i'm not sure why and i'm dying to know. On a different windows installing by the way. some installtion i made will allow me to use this command, some will not run, so i guess there's somethin botherin it, don't know yet.

What happen when it's workin: after a successful windows and RunOnceEx install, i uninstall the applications that RunOnceEx installed, eg. windows live messenger and hotfix KB939653, i run RunOnceEx.cmd again and check using regedit, I can see that in RunOnceEx folder, the first line is TITLE "Installing applications", then there's 3 folders eg. 005, 010, 015 (005=messenger, 010=KB939653 & 015=cleanup.cmd), inside were the commands and applications to execute, finally, i went in CMD, use rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess, and the application runs. works fine. However sometimes it doesn't work this way, after doin the same thing and checkin it in regedit, i run rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess, nothing happens, i recheck in regedit, the TITLE line is gone, but the 005-015 folder and command remains. SO i don't know why is that happening, I've read some of this problem on other post, they say it's cause of IE7 (iernonce.dll), well it works fine for me before, with IE7 installed unattendedly.

To *ahem* summaries this long and maybe confusing question:

1. Why does rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess works sometimes and doesn't sometimes?

2. How can I apply RunOnceEx.cmd and run it using rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess AFTER windows finish with it's installation and updates?

Hope someone can help a noob out..

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...