Which one is showing the correct info?

clidx

CoreTemp is showing you your correct temperatures. There are two thermal sensors in the C2D/C2Q chips - one that's buried inside the CPU itself, and one that's closer to the IHS.

SpeedFan picks up on the "external" temperature, while CoreTemp and Intel's TAT pick up on the "internal" temperature. I haven't been able to get TAT running on my system at home though. CoreTemp works fine for me though.

If you want to put the most stress on the CPU, run Prime95 v25.4 with small FFTs. It'll put the most thermal load on your system so you can get a proper reading of your load temps.

ya coretemp is what u want to use. are those your idle temps? if they are then you should seriously think about getting some better cooling. i cant imagine what the temps would be at load.

You can see from SpeedFan that he's at about 50% load. ;)

ya coretemp is what u want to use. are those your idle temps? if they are then you should seriously think about getting some better cooling. i cant imagine what the temps would be at load.

You can see from SpeedFan that he's at about 50% load. ;)

thats good then. he's prolly using the dual core orthos or something. there is a quad core ready prime95 that i just tried out. my temps go from ~25C idle to ~35C load on 2 of my cores and from ~32C to ~42C load on the other 2 cores. so only a 10C increase with water, wow i'm loving it :) my load temps on water are the same as my idle temps with the intel stock heatsink.

i was running 2 rosetta@home tasks, limited to affinity on cores 3 and 4. those temps would be my idle temps if i were running on the intel stock cooler.

and just out of interest ripken, which water cooler do you have and is it worth the money? (no i'm not planning on getting water cooling yet, just wondering) EDIT ok didn't read properly, i guess your thermochill pa 120.3 is your watercooler

thanks for the info Zxian and ripken!!

Edited by clidx