Replacing my motherboard

RJM

Last weekend I managed to crack my motherboard an ASUS P5W-DH-Delux. Today I have received a replacement board of the same model.

The question that I have is that I have never replaced a motherboard where I have had

Windows XP installed. I’m wondering if there is anything that I should look out for

after turning on my machine with the new motherboard, going into BIOS to set the

clock time, fan speed, memory timings, etc.

I’ve googled for this and most of the results are for when you upgrade the motherboard

And not replacing it with the exact model.

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks

Edited by RJM

Make sure you put any expansion cards back in the same slot they were in on the old motherboard. As long as all of your BIOS settings are the same you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Windows will redetect all of your devices...but since the motherboard is the same model you shouldn't need to do a reinstall.

Also...when it redetects your devices it's going to ask to reboot to finish the process. DO NOT restart until you're sure that it's finished detecting all of the devices. Otherwise you're going to end up with multiple reboots.

And be ready to reactivate Windows XP...

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Well, that went surprisingly well. I installed the replacement motherboard, put all the cards in the same slots, set everything in bios including my overclock, turned on the PC, no detecting hardware occurred, no reboots, everything works and I did not have to reactivate WinXP!

I must have missed something; it’s not supposed to be that easy!

Well, that went surprisingly well. I installed the replacement motherboard, put all the cards in the same slots, set everything in bios including my overclock, turned on the PC, no detecting hardware occurred, no reboots, everything works and I did not have to reactivate WinXP!

I must have missed something; it’s not supposed to be that easy!

i told you that all would go well :) as long as it is the same model you shouldnt have any problems, and you didnt :)

Since it's an identical board windows doesn't need re-activation :)

The board model number may be identical...but the serial number isn't the same, so technically it's not an identical board to Windows. Even the simple addition of a hard drive CAN force a re-activation.