Install XP from Hard drive -working ideas?

Alright i know there are other topics covering this but posts do not have a working method. I do not want to install xp from usb or from a network install!

I want to have a copy of xp on hard drive C:. Without using any CDs or other media install xp on hard drive C: using the copy of xp located on hard drive C:.

How can this be done?

It seems some form of code like this does the trick but i have tried dozens of different methods all from posts on several forums but all have failed.

winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /noreboot /makelocalsource /unattend:C:\Unattend\winnt.sif"

Has anyone performed this and if so what structure was used?

WinPE...

I personally tested Win2k3 install by first loading Win2k, created a WinPE image (useable/bootable as well as this/my method) from WinXP RTM WinPE (should work with others), created a HDD image (methods available; I included VirtualCD), "burned" both to CD, booted into the associated "image backup" software and cloned it to C-drive, booted to HDD, mounted the 2K3 CD (an image, hence inclusion of VirtualCD), copied it to the C-drive, and ran WINNT32.

A basic WinPE Bootable CD should be sufficient. Create it on another machine, boot it on target machine, then run your install. WinPE has small footprint, and runs any "basic" 32-bit apps; even ran Explorer under it (after gathering associated modules).

My first paragraph appears to meet you requirements. Create the HDD-style image on the target HDD, place the Install stuff "wherever" on the target HDD, put target HDD in target machine, boot into it, and go...

Without using any CDs or other media install xp on hard drive C: using the copy of xp located on hard drive C:.

winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /noreboot /makelocalsource /unattend:C:\Unattend\winnt.sif"

(bolding is mine)

You kidding right? :w00t:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.a...qNum=6&rl=1

/syspart:DriveLetter

On an x86-based computer, specifies that you can copy Setup startup files to a hard disk, mark the disk as active, and then install the disk into another computer. When you start that computer, it automatically starts with the next phase of Setup. You must always use the /tempdrive parameter with the /syspart parameter.

/tempdrive:DriveLetter

Directs Setup to place temporary files on the specified partition. For a new installation, Windows XP will also be installed on the specified partition.

/makelocalsource

Instructs Setup to copy all installation source files to your local hard disk. Use /makelocalsource when installing from a CD to provide installation files when the CD is not available later in the installation.

The above three switches don't make sense in the kind of setup you propose:

if you booted from it, your C: is already Active

since you have just one partition, where else could temporary files go?

if you ALREADY copied files form (slipstreamed) CD to the \I386 directory, and actually started WINNT32.EXE from it, you ALREADY have a local source, don't you?

The Syntax you need is MUCH simplier:

WINNT32.EXE /s:[sourcePath] /unattend:[answer_file] [/noreboot]

Of course the contents of the winnt.sif files must be attentively checked, manually or through setupmgr, do read attentively this:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=202

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz thanks for the reply. Yea the i think that command code i posted was just my last desperate attempt to get this to work. I basically was using what other people told me would work. Clearly that last one i tried did not.

Also i have an unattended copy of xp. I do not need to make a copy like your link explains. I know how to do that. Do you have a command that will allow me to run my xp source that is fully unattended on the drive that the xp copy sits on? do you need to see my winnt.sif?