Updating MB bios,but what about RAID 0?

Gorki

Ok guys...I wonted to update my bios on asus p5B delux with latest one cause of some changes in new bioses. But I'm not shure what will happen with my data on my 2x160 barracudas that are connected in raid 0? I'm using onboard raid controller. What would happen if I decide to upgrade bios and in what circumstances? I know some of you will say: Don't try to fix it,if it's not broken,but I'm trying to skip that lesson.

Thanks. :)

Well I just updated my MB bios a week ago and it wasn't till after I started the process I thought... oh crap what about my raid0.

My raid was unaffected by the bios update. It's always best to back up the data just in case though.

MB=

Asus K8V SE Deluxe

raid0 on the via raid controller not the promise controller by the way.

Edited by jaws75

Thank you jaws75 and Zxian! :) I agree with you guys that it's safe to backup your data specially when doing something like this and data on the drives is very important. However I'm not willing to do this to be honest.

In general theory it should work fine,however I wonted to be shure and ask. Maybe someone knows better or has more experience cause raid is not new tehnology.

If I decide to do this I'm thinking to use windows utillity and doit that way?

Stay away as much as you can from the BIOS update windows utility. The best way to update the BIOS is to download on a floppy / USB stick the necessary files and run the update in pure DOS mode. As to the original question, as the others have said, you *should* be safe.

Stay away as much as you can from the BIOS update windows utility. The best way to update the BIOS is to download on a floppy / USB stick the necessary files and run the update in pure DOS mode. As to the original question, as the others have said, you *should* be safe.

I agree that the best way to do it is in DOS however, I have used the Asus update utility about 5 times on my MB without problems. The latest version 7.10.05 works fine in Vista x64 as well. I used it in x64.

To find the latest 7.10.05 go to

ASUS download

in the dropdown select

-Motherboard

-Utility

-Tools

hit search.

Now don't select BIOS-Utilities as this has an older version. Select Utilities instead.

As with all BIOS updates use with caution.

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

Vista Home Premium x64

Yes jaws75 I'm well know about that asus windows update tool. A friend of mine also updated his bios using that tool under vista environment and it all went right. :) I did it once before also using it from xp but that was befor I got raid 0 on my mbo.

And further more I decided to go with flash from windows..and I must say It all wen flawlessly :) I was so plesently suprised how well it all went.. :) Get back to bios after I load safe settings and set disks to RAID and voila...operating status normal...optical drives bla bla..and continues to boot with no ishues at all :)

Thanks guys for helping me and clearing some doubts.... :)