Driver issue is driving me insane....

Gibbon

Hey Guys, Im hoping someone can help me out here.

I have a brand new CF30 Toughbook from Panasonic.

I get stuff like this all the time, no machines, hardware etc etc and have to adapt our SOE to it. But this one is killing me.

Unknown device.

Yes, I have done all the usual things, installed all the newest drivers, tried servicepacks and software installs from the CD provided.

Here is the low-down... the device is being detected (by two different softwares) as:

Multimedia Audio Controller [unknown]

Chip: Intel Corporation 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4 A1 step)

Detail

Chip

82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4 A1 step)

Chip Vender

Intel Corporation

Device

Multimedia Audio Controller

OEM Device

Onboard AC'97 Audio Controller

OEM Vender

Dell Computer Corp

PnpID

VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01261028&REV_01

OEM Device from Dell Computer Corp

But you think I can find a driver that works?!?!?! Nah, have tried about 20 different ones. None work.

Strange thing is, if I rebuild the lappy with the CD provided by panasonic, this device doesnt even exist on the machine!

wt..

Anyway, heres hoping that someone can help me out or point me in a new direction. Ive never had this amount of trouble before.

Cheers in advance

Gib

Unfortunately, that hotfix isn't readily available from Microsoft. If it doesn't come with the SoundMAX drivers (Realtek includes it with their drivers), you can use the following information to get the hotfix. If you aren't creating an Unattended XP install just ignore the information about integrating it...

You need the hotfix for KB888111 integrated into your CD to make it work. I ran into the same problem with all of our new workstations and laptops. Fortunately a little searching will find you the correct download. :)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...SeriesId=447468

Extract the file after you download it. It contains the hotfix for several languages. Find the setup.dat for the language you require and rename it to KB888111.exe.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I havent found the solution yet.

Model number for the CF30 is CF-30CTQAXBM

I tried the M$ hot fix, that didnt work. Drivers supplied by panasonic didnt work again :(

Tried downloading some AC'97 soundmax drivers, that didnt work either...

bah.

Have you also installed the chipset drivers from Intel for you laptop? Some devices need the underlying device drivers installed first before they will install. You may need your chipset drivers installed before installing the audio.

That model appears to be specific to Australia...and their site doesn't have a single driver for it.

But...as IcemanND said you need to make sure you have the chipset drivers installed. The SoundMAX audio device integrates with part of the southbridge so if you don't have the chipset drivers installed you'll never get the sound card to work.