Dual Core and Core 2 Duo

dwarfer

I really wanted to get a 512mb card but my budget is lacking so I'll have to stick to a 256mb so I've narrowed it down to 3 cards

Sparkle GeForce 8600GT 256MB HDTV/Dual DVI (PCiEx)

Jetway GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCiEx)

Sparkle GeForce 8600GT 512MB HDTV/Dual DVI (PCiEx)

Which is best?

Also I really need some advice as to which processor to get, looking at the comparison on the link above the 3ghz core 2 duo seems faster at games but the quad core q6600 seems faster at everything else but slower at games, what should I do I'm really stuck.

Edited by dwarfer

About max CPU's. I thought that that it was a maximum of 2 cores, be they on one CPU or 2. I guess I was wrong... so it is legal to use a quad-core processor with Windows XP? Cool!

It's what I'm doing with my new setup. Q6600 with XP. :)

As for the video card - the question is whether or not your CPU or GPU will be the limiting factor in games. Considering you're getting an 8600GT, my guess is that the CPU won't be the bottleneck. I manage to push about 5500 in 3DMark06, but I've seen people get scores over 8000 with an 8800GTS (with the same CPU).

Even though I don't really like any of the brands you've posted (are there any other stores you can order from?), I'd go with the 512MB Sparkle. It's a tiny premium for double the video memory.

I agree...the XFX 7900GS XXX would be a much better choice for the money IMO. Sure, it doesn't run DX10 but none of the current DX10 capable cards run DX10 games particularly well right now anyway. The double lifetime* warranty also helps.

*As long as you register it on XFX's site the warranty will transfer if you sell/give away the card.

I've never noticed any tearing so far with my 8600GT. Are you sure your problem doesn't arise from the lack of bandwidth on your PCI video card?

its entirely possible, but the only game i really ever play is Alice, so its not like i can go through a big list and compare.

I've never noticed any tearing so far with my 8600GT. Are you sure your problem doesn't arise from the lack of bandwidth on your PCI video card?

its entirely possible, but the only game i really ever play is Alice, so its not like i can go through a big list and compare.

Alice is based on the Q3 engine but I'm not sure if it includes the same strafing "bug". Try enabling vsync to see if it gets rid of the tearing.
If the card doesn't work with DirectX 10 will it still run the Vista Aero style?

Yes. DX10 isn't a requirement for Aero.

I've just been looking for the same parts on ebuyer and there loads cheaper, for the mobo it says ' 1 x ATA, 5 x SATA, 1 x eSATA'

I'm guessing the 'ATA' should actually say 'PATA' so I can connect my IDE drives right? Also I have 3 IDE drives (2 HDD and 1 DVD Drive), will I be able to connect all 3?

ATA = PATA = IDE...they're all the same thing.

As for your existing IDE devices...that motherboard (and pretty much any new Intel based motherboard) only has one PATA port on it. And since you can only connect 2 devices to a single PATA port the answer to your question would initially be "No". However, you can get PATA-to-SATA converters and attach your existing IDE hard drives to the SATA controller. I would do that anyway just to eliminate cable clutter.