Net Logon removal causes breakage of Windows Installer

Troglodyte

Hi,

I have been having problems with an nLited installation of Windows XP x64 SP2. After being unable to install .NET 3.0, and many other applications which seem to just hang, I went to work to discover which component removal was causing this problem.

After many hours I found that removing the "Net Logon" service causes this issue for some reason. I am not certain if it breaks "Windows Installer" persay, but for certain it makes it impossible to install any version of .NET and a few other driver installation programs were also hanging.

Just wanted to pass this information along to nuhi or anyone else.

Yep it is netlogon, causes quite a few problems specially with .NET (Hanged), Office (can't customize anything but office still installed) and some other apps. Myself and nuhi have been working with this problem... it was either Netword DDE or Netlogon and ended up being netlogon. We was just waiting for this to be confirmed so we must thankyou :thumbup . You've probably saved Nuhi time as he was going to test it to see if he got the same results as me, much appreciated :D but... we don't know if it is just x64, i havent checked to see what happens if netlogon is removed on x86 as i only use x64.

Thanks Again,

Liam

Edited by legolash2o

• 3 weeks later...