New upgrade

nitroshift

I don't have any direct experience with it, but that's supposed to be a really good board. It's fully loaded and probably has more features than you'll use/need...but better to have too much than not enough when it comes to a motherboard. :)

You can still use the same CPU until you get the new CPU as well. You may want to give the Q6600 a look as well. It runs at the same clock speed as the E6600, but it's quad-core instead of dual-core. The price difference shouldn't be that much.

I would also recommend waiting a few weeks on the motherboard unless you need it right now. Intel is about to release the X38 chipset which will give you two options:

1. Get an X38 chipset based motherboard (which has support for PCIe 2.0 and several other new features).

Or

2. It'll drive the prices of the P35 based boards down so you can save a little money on the one you're looking at now.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Nitroshift,

I checked out the motherboard you linked too, but found a bit more expensive one that could suite you better. If you put more attention to the newer motherboards then you will see that most come out with solid capacitors. Not only around the CPU socket but also on other places like the chipset and PCI/PCI-E slots. For the sound card, it’s less important. I would take a look at the GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 2.0), it has better components and more USB ports at the back.

But, I still have some questions:

- Are you planning to use this computer for something other then just home-computing?

- How many hard drives are you going to connect?

- Any Over clocking/tweaking involved?

Actually I decided to go for this one: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...Name=GA-P35-DS3 for which I will be paying 150 USD inc. VAT and shipping.

@puntoMX

1. I am and will be using the pc for home (internet, beta testing, gaming - quite rarely)

2. 2 HDD's (the ones in my sig)

3. YEP!!!

@nmX.Memnoch

That mobo is not available at the computer shop i'm buying from (and have discount ;) ) and the Q6600 is way outta my budget :( (410 USD inc. VAT and shipping). Funny enough, the E6750 is priced at 300 USD and the E6600 is 360 USD :blink: . I'm thinking of getting the E6750 instead.

Thanks for your input guys!

Edited by nitroshift

Well, considering that no X38 motherboards are available yet it's no suprise that your vendor doesn't have them. :)

They will be out in the next few weeks though, and will drive down the prices of P35 based boards. I think you should reconsider the motherboard as well and go with the one that puntoMX recommended. Again, it may have some features that you think you won't or don't need, but it's better to have them and not use them than to not have them and realize that you could've used them.

Looks like the E6750 is a better deal for you. You should take the $60 you're saving on the Q6600 and get the upgraded motherboard. :D

... Looks like the E6750 is a better deal for you. You should take the $60 you're saving on the Q6600 and get the upgraded motherboard. :D...

Hold on! The man wants to OC so he would be better of with 1066MHz FSB CPU although it’s 60US$ cheaper but I’m sure there are other stores that have the E6600 for les then 300 US$.

nitroshift,

Better choice, but you can’t get version 2.0 of that motherboard?

Let's see...spend an extra $60 to get a CPU that's clocked lower and overclock it. OR save $60 and start with the E6750 and overclock it to roughly the same level but knowing you're going to have a higher FSB anyway. Hmmm...which do you think is the better choice?

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Answer: The E6600, 9*266 vs 8*333.

Lets say that the FSB can be set on 450MHz, so we get:

E6600 - 9*450=4050MHz

E6750 - 8*450=3600MHz

This is why the 6550 isn´t so pupular now for OCing... So I play it back again, not to kick any one in the balls but which do you think is the better choice?

EDIT: And as I said, there are shops that sell the E6600 cheaper now; it’s just the old stock that needs to pushed a bit...

That's supposing that the E6600 is going to reach those clock speeds.. Sure, some people may be getting that but it certainly isn't the norm. In the limited amount of searching I did most people are hitting the 3.3-3.6GHz range for an E6600...which is right where you put your example for the E6750.

I'd still save the $60 and go for the E6750.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

thanks for your help and advice. Got myself a brand new Gigabyte P35-DS3 rev.2.0 and I must say it's a baby :) Now until next month I will have to wait and see the bank balance in order to get the CPU which will be either the 6600 or the 6750. I'd like to get the 6600 but I have to think about living too :whistle:

That's the Q6600 I presume :P . I know the feeling...

Always we like to see pictures by the way ;) .

I wish it was the Q6600, but it's only the E6600... :( I'll take some pics some day this week and post them under "Pics of your computer" :) I forgot to say: the RAM is now running at its specified speed, 800MHz ;)

EDIT:

Actually I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/01/tak...50_beyond_4ghz/ and now I'm having second thoughts about getting the 6600....

Edited by nitroshift