Are Sata Optical Drives Worth It?

ahem.

The Best.

Plextor. 'nuff said.

the first dvd burner i bought was a plextor, i read all around that it was a great drive blah blah blah, i went to go used it an IMO it sucked. so about 6 months later i bought a NEC and i still use it to this day. the plextor layed unsed in my pc until my dads drive failed and i gave him my plextor.

Plextor used to be the best...bar none. They started going down hill as soon as they stopped making SCSI CD drives/burners.

@Punto - not all drives are created equal. Like I said - the Sony drive in my workstation at UBC can't burn a disc reliably, while the three burners I have at home (LG, Pioneer, and Pioneer) are all flawless.

And now for a real answer!

Speed wise, you will NOT see any real diffrence between SATA and IDE for a optical drive. The rotationnal speed of any CD/DVD cannot exceed a certain point anyway (~52X).

I know that IDE is slowly beginning to fade away on motherboards. That's why SATA is slowly replacing the older interface. Some people could have some issues trying to boot from a SATA CD/DVD drive unless they have a new generation board. Maybe the future will resolve the speed barrier.

Personnaly, I prefer to keep my SATA Hard drives separated from a CD/DVD drive. I'm still using a Plextor PX-708A IDE. Note that i don't burn 2000 cd's a week. I use to have a Plexwriter16/10/40A before.

If i had to choose one today, I'd go with the Plextor PX-810SA. For my part, i never had any problems with plextor. Heck! my mother still uses my old Plexwriter.

Speed wise, you will NOT see any real diffrence between SATA and IDE for a optical drive.

Try burning or doing an on-the-fly CD/DVD copy to two drives on the same IDE cable and then make that statement again. :)

The OP stated he wants to get rid of his IDE cables so I'm sure that was the main reason for the inquiry.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Speed wise, you will NOT see any real diffrence between SATA and IDE for a optical drive.

Try burning or doing an on-the-fly CD/DVD copy to two drives on the same IDE cable and then make that statement again. :)

The OP stated he wants to get rid of his IDE cables so I'm sure that was the main reason for the inquiry.

exactly, i could really care less if its 133mb/sec or 3gb/sec i dont use the drives that much for that to matter. i just want to get rid of the IDE cables since theyre bulky and are a PITA compared to SATA cables.