Confused about a ISO file being bootable.

videobruce

I'm really confused about a ISO file being bootable using nLite.

In the past doingb a slopstramed O/S using Nero, you do a bootable CD, point the program to a .img file with whatever files it needs to make the CD bootable, then add the O/S files from the CD that were modified (SP slipstreamed etc.).

When I tried to use this 'iso' file in Nero it gives me a error that is the wrong type of file. Someoen explain this 'bootable CD' concept to me. It was easier to use a bootable floppy in 88ES. :rolleyes:

in nLite when you create an image or burn directly to disk, it automatically make it bootable, works same as the floppy disk method but well with a CD/DVD lol. you just have to tell your computer to boot from CD instead of floppy disk.

In Nero, use "Nero Express" and select the bottom option (something like saved image or whatever) and search for the iso you want to burn

hope thats answered what you asked

Edited by legolash2o

Your .img file was a bootable floppy image, that was part of the bootable cd you were making.

Now the .iso is the whole bootable cd image. You need to "burn cd from ISO" or "burn image to CD", not "make bootable cd" or even less burn a data cd containing the iso file.

Hummmmm.

I have always done the 'Barts' method by slipstreaming the SP and replaceing that 386 folder. Then adding those needed 'boot' files.

You wound up with a directory that looked like the Windows CD directory.

Nero has a 'ISO' & a 'UDF/ISO'. I tried both and with the 'ISO' choice I receive a error message that it is a single iso file to a empty disc and with the 'UDF/ISO' choice, it burns, but the CD doesn't boot.

Under 'Recorder' in the main top menu bar there is a 'Burn Image' selection. I tried that and it finally worked.

What's the difference between these three choices? Why doesn't the other two work? Burning is burning isn't it?

Edited by videobruce

:thumbup I've just had the same problem!

create an iso in nlite produced an iso file which was burnt to dvd using nlite and nero and several other programs.

they all failed to boot.

solution :- download and run cdimage (a microsoft internal program) from www.tech-hints.com/2kos.html - this opens a page on making bootable disks, scroll down to "creating the iso file" and click on the first CDIMAGE link (in blue) download and execute.

restart nlite, load previous session (the one where the iso failed) click on MODE & create Image, click on ISO ENGINE and select CDImage

create iso

burn iso in nero, nlite or whatever

it will work.

if you get a blue screen error, as I did, the computer is looking at the wrong DVD writer or port - select the correct one - microsoft boot disks can do this on a multi interface system if IDE and SATA interfaces exist - for some reason they can see the SATA interface as a virus - I had to refit an IDE DVD burner.

Edited by malcolmsmill