X1950XT fan dying

RJM

The fan on my Sapphire X1950XT has had a habit lately of not starting, although still under warrantee, I was considering upgrading the cooling anyway. I have Googled for GPU cooler reviews but I can’t seem to find anything newer than a year old.

What I am looking for is something that will exhaust out of the back of my PC

And be more reliable and possibly quieter than the stock cooler.

I would appreciate it if you had any recommendations, or know of any recent reviews.

Thanks,

RJM

Edited by RJM

I'm using the Zalman VF900-CU with my Sapphire X1950XT card and everything is so much cooler and quieter now.B) It really is a powerful cooler and real enthusiasts are using this one. The only modification I did was to switch the socket from the original cooler so that the fan control can be managed by the card itself because my board doesn’t have PWM support. ATI Tray Tools is taking care of the fan speed control and over clocking capabilities; the use of CCC is now obsolete. In my case the fan speed can be set to half and then be forgotten because of the efficiency of the airflow. Nothing has made me more pleased, now that I have a silent and powerful system propped with silent Nexus fans to play with. :thumbup

You could do what I did when my Sapphire X1600XT fan decided to get really loud:

Unscrew and remove the metal heatsink cover.

Unscrew and remove the fan.

Get your favourite brand of quiet 80mm fan (I think I used a Panaflo) and wedge it inbetween the heatsink and the closest PCI card.

Voila. Very quiet, cheap, reliable, simple. No need to mess around buying and fiddling with a custom heatsink with an oddball fan which still might fail. And I don't really trust passive cooling for GPUs.

I saw the Zalman, but I was really looking for a cooler that would exhaust the hot air out the back of my PC.

somthing like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835110015

SmaugyGrr:

I might take it apart this weekend, as I do have a spare 80mm fan and maybe just mount the 80mm to blow into the fan intake

so I will still have cooling if the other fan fails to start. At least untill I get another cooler.

Edited by RJM

RJM,

Ripken204 posted before me, and he´s right; AC has good coolers for a good price (if not the best). But he forgot to look at there site; there are no coolers with direct-exhaust any more from them. It seems that there is no use for it any more like before when computers had less airflow inside the housings.

DHES (Direct Heat Exhaust System)

A DHES doesn't make sense for a quiet high performance PC . The 1 C plus in ambient temperature doesn't matter since it is easy to cool nowadays CPUs quietly - but it is very difficult to cool a high performance GPU virtually silent. Therefore air should be drawn directly from outside to the VGA cooler, basically exactly the opposite of a DHES. The Accelero outperforms all competitors and offers a 13 C better cooling performance on a X1900XT board compared to the stock cooler (dynamic fan speed) at a far lower noise level. This is possible because we rejected the DHES.

Advantage of DHES: Reduces the computer ambient temperature by about 1 C.

Disadvantage of DHES: A lot more pressure is used. Therefore the fan generates a far higher noise level at the same performance.

The exhaust air of about 35-40 C is no problem for the mainboard. All components are specified for at least 85 C or more and therefore if these components run hot, the air stream works as a cooling. Compare to the P4 cooling, where the exhaust air is also used as a cooling. The warm air arise automatically in the PC case and will be blown out by the case fans.

I would personaly go for the AC VGA-cooler.

Never mind, the card died. RMA to Newegg.

no video during boot and no beeps, no video at all. But beeps with no video card installed.

Edited by RJM