printer drivers, reinstall?

ripken204

I have tried installing other canon printers from the list provided when I browse to the inf file and I get the same error with all the printers...... maybe there is a problem with the drivers for canon printers..... Although that were the case, I would think there would be alot more posts about this.... The manufacturers just need to quit being lazy and provide their own drivers for their products instead of relying on MS

You may have been on the right track with renaming some of the code.... maybe it gets changed when copied from DVD to harddrive on a full default install of Vista and when we simply drag it off the DVD it does not get changed.....

This is really frustrating! :angry:

nah the code is fine already and it does it with epson too, im jsut checking too see if i have to copy another folder to the desktop. which means i gotta extract the whole install.wim and search for your missing files

Edited by legolash2o

try changing the inf back to

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

1 = %DiskID%,,,"I386"

[sourceDisksNames.amd64]

1 = %DiskID%,,,"Amd64"

[sourceDisksNames.ia64]

1 = %DiskID%,,,"ia64"

EDIT: I forgot i removed printer suuport for the vista im using so gotta make a new vLite anyway lol, the id*** i am

Edited by legolash2o

when i reinstall my computer (with printer support and all drivers) ill be testing some stuff like finding out where them files are! lol, and i might be able to just email your the drivers with the files, we will have to findout. anyways its 1:06am here so wont be able to reply until 2morrow. nite

ok re-copy all the files to be sure, then move the folder to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

and if you go to add new hardware it should have printers in the list or just try automatic

Edited by legolash2o

ok re-copy all the files to be sure, then move the folder to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

and if you go to add new hardware it should have printers in the list or just try automatic

It actually worked!!! Thank you SO MUCH! I had to change permissions to copy the folder there in the first place (which Vista didn't approve of), but once I changed permissions and copied the folder, I changed them back. The install went fine (even though it still said 1,415 files)....... It must have been some sort of security thing related to Vista.... it can only install drivers from the default folder???? Either way it worked great and I appreciate all your effort with solving my problem.

Your welcome Magic507, yep it must only be able to install from the default folder, plus it adds it to the hardware list and the automatic driver install list so it will install when it picks it up n switched on.You wouldnt believe that this was the actual first time ive done this task, i had no clue how to do it yesterday morning :D anyways glad to help n if you have any other problem be sure to leave a topic on the forum. And please post on my topic here that it worked as i need someone to confirm. Thanks

Great Teamwork :thumbup

Liam

Edited by legolash2o

hey thank you soo much! i finally got around to installing it today.

i got the correct file from the vista dvd then i used your other guide for the rest.

the one problem is that the hp priners did not show up.. so i had to say "have disk" and i browsed to the hp driver folder and selected the .ini file. then i selected my printer model and it worked :thumbup

np glad it worked can u please leave a message on my guide saying u got it worked plz :), where did u put the HP folder from the wim file n did u try automatic?

incase, someone is wondering where my guide is, its here...

Edited by legolash2o