learning windows programming.............

can any body tell me how can i start learning programming so that i could develop applications for windows

i have only a basic knowledge of c programming .

OR

any suggested sites or any help.................please

Visual Basic?!? (Icky) I'd rather be horse whipped ... If he can already do basic C then go for (Pure Win32 API) C++, then you end up with tight fast code that you can drop anywhere and know it'll run.

C# is nice if you need to do some thing large, complex, and in a hurry. But you're saddled with the (ever version specific) .NET runtime requirements (and its accompanying 50MB download) just to get the thing to run.

You'll only try to do something quickly by tossing it on a network share, and running it on all workstations once before you realize what a pain C# can be.

A. The .NET 3.0 (or 2.0) run-times are not a critical update ... so nobody will have them installed.

B. The program won't run because it doesn't have permission to do so (e.g. code level security is built into the .NET run-times).

C. The exact syntax to tell the %$^%^&% think it's OK to execute isn't real easy to remember Mainly because you're right in the middle of trying to get something else done ... That you were trying to do quickly for a reason...

I used C# once to get something developed in a hurry, and it worked beautifully... Deployment however (see above...) went to hell in a handcart.

I will never code in anything else but (completely runtime-less) Pure Win32 API C++ code ever again!