Adobe CS3 Silent Install

kenlau

I found countless useful tips here on how to silently install my apps, so I thought I finally give something in return. This is based on Adobe instructions which are do not actually work, and information gleaned from other forums.

Here is how to silently install Adobe CS3 Applications, i.e., Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash and Dreamwever. It is tested on these apps, but should work for all CS3 apps since they all follow the same method of installation.

1. The directory structure and name of the original CD or DVD is important. If you copy the installation files into a different folder name, then you MUST amend the setup.xml file that reside in the payloads folder. Open setup.xml using notepad, and inside between <Payloads> and </Payload> limiters, you find entries like <Payload folder="AdobeALMAnchorServiceAll">Adobe CS3</Payload> Here, Adobe CS3 is the folder name where setup.exe resides. Change Adobe CS3 to whatever is your current folder name. Not doing this will give you error code 4, since setup will not be able to find the installation files.

2. Next, in the payloads folders, select the main application folder. If it is Photoshop, it should be AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume. If it is Dreamweaver, it will be AdobeDreamweaver9en_US. Inside, select file that end with ....proxy.xml. If is is Photoshop, it should be AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume.proxy.xml. Edit this file with notepad. Use the find function to find <Requires> entry in the xml file, and delete all the entries between <Requires> and </Requires>, including <Requires> and </Requires> limiters. Doing this will show the options to allow you to select which components you want to install.

3. Now, from the setup root folder where setup.exe resides, from command prompt type: setup.exe --record=1

4. This will perform a record of the installation without actually installing the apps. From here, you can also select which of the options you want installed. Some options are critical, so if the apps do not run after installation, you have to come back to this step and re-enable the option.

5. After the recording of the installation is completed, go to the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Installations folder. Inside will reside 2 xml files, one for installation and another for removal. Rename them install.xml and uninstall.xml respectively. Copy them to your setup folder.

6. Now, create application.xml.override file inside the application payload folder. The entry should be

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration>
<Payload>
<Data key="Serial" protected="0">1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</Data>
<Data key="Registration">Suppress</Data>
<Data key="EULA">Suppress</Data>
<Data key="Updates">Suppress</Data>
</Payload>
</Configuration>

7. Finally, you can now silently install the apps with the command setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=D:\Photoshop\install.xml.

8. Note that you must have the absolute directory path for the install.xml. It will give error code 4 or 5 is you do not.

9. If you still encounter errors, you should first have a look at the installation log that resides in Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Installations folder. Search for "ERROR" and it will usually give an indication of the error that has occurred.

Thank you for detailed description about cs3 installation.

I have a troubles with strange behavior of setup.exe started from bat file

-----

rem @ECHO OFF

TITLE Installing CS3

if NOT DEFINED DISTR (

set DISTR=..

)

start "" /wait "%CD%\Setup.exe" --mode=Silent --deploymentFile=%CD%\Deployment.xml

exit

-----

I start this bat file from FAR or from cmd.exe

bat file executed normally and restarted cyclically and infinitively without intervention.

I see this window:

-----

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>start "" /wait "S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photosho

p_cs3\Setup.exe" --mode=Silent --deploymentFile=S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_c

s3\Deployment.xml

Begin Adobe Setup

UI mode: Silent

End Adobe Setup. Exit code: 0

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>exit

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>silent.bat

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>rem @ECHO OFF

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>TITLE Installing CS3

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>if NOT DEFINED DISTR (set DISTR=.. )

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>rem cd /D ..\cs3_dp

S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_cs3>start "" /wait "S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photosho

p_cs3\Setup.exe" --mode=Silent --deploymentFile=S:\TECH\unatt\m_inst\photoshop_c

s3\Deployment.xml

Begin Adobe Setup

UI mode: Silent

-----

I am does not press any keys.

Win XP eng sp2 under VMware5

May be you have any ideas about this trouble?

Edited by mty

i do not have install.xml, but deployment.xml, and inside Payloads folder, i have Setup.xml not application. and having absolute paths will mean if the drive letter changes this won't work??

Setup.xml

- <Setup version="1.0.134.0">
<Driver folder="AdobeDreamweaver9en_US" />
- <Media>
- <Volume>
<Name>Adobe Dreamweaver CS3</Name>
- <Payloads>
<Payload folder="AdobeDreamweaver9en_US">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeALMAnchorServiceAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeAssetServices3All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeAUM5.1All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeBridge2All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeCameraRaw4.0All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeCMapsAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeDeviceCentralAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeDefaultLanguageCS3All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeExtendScriptToolKitAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeExtensionManager1.8All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeHelpViewerAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobePDFL8All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeTypeSupportAll">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="AdobeVersionCueClient3All">Adobe CS3</Payload>
<Payload folder="BridgeStartMeeting">Adobe CS3</Payload>
</Payloads>
</Volume>
</Media>
</Setup>

deployment.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
- <Deployment>
- <Properties>
<Property name="installLanguage">en_US</Property>
</Properties>
- <Payloads>
- <!-- Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
-->
- <Payload adobeCode="{00E5C764-9525-44C3-8404-712AD06AE12A}">
<Action>install</Action>
</Payload>
</Payloads>
</Deployment>

mty,

I see you are using deployment.xml file for your silent install. Is this the one that come with the CD, or one that you created yourself using "setup.exe --record=1"? Basically, I think your are using the wrong deployment file, as your installation actually proceeded without any errors, since you have exit code=0. To be frank, I am not too sure what is the your error since you do not mention it specifically. Is it ..r"estarted cyclically and infinitively without intervention"?

------------------------------------------------------------

jander44,

You can use variables. For example, I use AutoIt script "RunWait ( @ScriptDir & "\setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=" & @ScriptDir & "\install.xml" )" where @Scriptdir is the variable that translate to "D:\Software\Photoshop\".

What you cannot do is use relative path. For example, "setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=\XML\install.xml" where XML is a subdirectory from where the setup.exe is located. The same apply even if your install.xml is located in the same directory as your setup.exe file, i.e., "setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=install.xml" will NOT WORK.

I am installing from DVD, and using AutoIT. I did try using WIHU but getting the script right was difficult since the %SRCDRIVE% variable have to be inserted, i.e., setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=%SRCDRIVE%\Photoshop\install.xml. This obviously DID NOT work. I have a feeling running runonceex will have the same problem, as I can never figure out where all the quotes go to make it run properly so I simple resorted to AutoIT.

------------------------------------------------------------

iceangel89,

install.xml is CREATED when you run setup.exe using the followinng parameter, "setup.exe --record=1" without the quotes. This will not actually install anything on your hard disk, but create a record of intended installation in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installations folder. Copy the two xml file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installations to the same directory as your setup.exe and rename one install.xml and the second one uninstall.xml. You should not amend either setup.xml or deployment.xml.

As long as your code can translate into absolute paths, you should be able to install silently, even if your drive letter changes. See my example above using AutoIT script.

Edited by kenlau

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the description of the CS installation,

I am currently having problem with the pre-serialization. I was able to deploy the install silently without any error using the deployment.xml.override method, but when I go to run the program I was prompt for the serial key, I already did input the key into the .override file as prescribed by both this guide and the adobe guide. I did check and my serial key is legit volume license and it should work. I am currently using SMS to deploy the application but I have also tried with a bat script, I use the command that were given in the adobe guide. Here is a copy of my deployment.xml.override

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration>
<Payload>
<Data Key="Serial" protected="0">1234xxxx1234xxxx1234xxxx</Data>
<Data Key="Registration">Suppress</Data>
<Data Key="EULA">Suppress</Data>
</Payload>
</Configuration>

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

--William

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have successfully silently installed Photoshop CS3 using the above method.

However when I run the program it opens but I get the error attached.

Is this because I am using the wrong license code, do I need a Corporate code?

This is driving me crazy, I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Shaun

CS3_Error.doc

hi is there any way to skip this? (its an eror from the log)

CheckSwitchTo for systemCheck

[ 3896] Tue Nov 20 15:24:20 2007 ERROR

The minimum system requirements listed below are needed in order to run Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and are not met.

- 512 MB of RAM or more

Please upgrade or adjust your system to meet these minimum requirements and then restart the installer.

• 2 weeks later...

8. Note that you must have the absolute directory path for the install.xml. It will give error code 4 or 5 is you do not.

My first post here :hello: I think I found a clean way arround this.

My method is using StartX replaceable parameters

@EXEDRV@ which gets replaced with the drive letter path where StartX is run from.

The other variable is @EXEDIR@ which is the fully qualified folder where StartX is run from.

@QUOTE@ which puts a Quote character i.e. " into the string when the program is called.

For example:

setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=D:\Photoshop\install.xml.

I use:

StartX.exe /WAIT "@EXEDIR@\setup.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile=@EXEDIR@\install.xml"

Now I have read in some posts that some ppl get errors while running commands, because they just past their path before the command that is about to run. Some cases no probles cause the path doesn't have spaces. If They have spaces have to use " "

Using StartX it should look something like this (hope I got it right haven't test this one yet):

StartX.exe /WAIT "@QUOTE@@EXEDIR@\setup.exe@QUOTE@ --mode=silent --deploymentFile=@QUOTE@@EXEDIR@\install.xml@QUOTE@"

Now lets see how it should look if you do your own 7zip switchless installer for Photoshop CS3 the config.txt should look something like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"@QUOTE@@EXEDIR@\setup.exe@QUOTE@ --mode=silent --deploymentFile=@QUOTE@@EXEDIR@\install.xml@QUOTE@\""
;!@InstallEnd@!

sorry about the speel and thanks kenlau for making it so easy, took me like 2 days to find a way to install it till I saw your post.

Oh and for activation, I use my original key but since I install photoshop cs3 to all my computers I dont want to waste time activating all of them so I just hax the Photoshop.exe to never ask me for activation :)

Just a quick note a found on another forum... I tried to get this installer working for hours... until I noticed this:

If you copy/paste the xml from Adobe's PDF, you'll end up with curly quotes. Replace the curly quotes (”) with straight (") ones!

Indeed... Now everything works perfectly

• 1 month later...

I'm really upset I cant get it to work. Always I receive "End Adobe Setup. Exit Code: 7". If I check the log file I find this:

Jan 02 17:26:24 2008  INFO  Installing Bootstrapper
--record option not specified
* Logfile path changed to: C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Adobe\Installers\Adobe Photoshop CS3 10.0.log *

Any idea? I was looking for everywhere... and nothing :S

See ya!!.

PD: Yes I know, some months ago I said It worked but I dont really know what I did and now it's impossible to work