[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

IcemanND

@ Iceangel89 - Page 6 step 6

You should be able to remount the wim and copy those files. the copy the wim back into the iso folder and recreate the iso.

err u mean that i have to find out whatever services i need? like imagex? i dont see imagex there did i? but anyway i'll try that.

Good guide tho :thumbup

That step does the copying of the tools to the CD, imagex and others.

mmm did that but somehow its missing... maybe it didn't go into the wim... but nvm

now when i start from step 5

5. Now mount the Windows PE boot image as a folder on your machine so that it may be edited by typing the following: imagex /mountrw c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe_x86\mount

then at step 9

9. Prepare the Windows PE Image by typing, this removes unneeded items from the image: peimg /prep c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows /f

i get

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>peimg /prep D:\winpe_x86\mount\Window
s /f
Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The image directory specified is a Windows PE image that was
previously prepared with the /PREP command.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002.

so i skip that step?

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've been meaning fully go through the guide again since Vista/WAIK SP1 released, I wanted to point out a few "regressions" I noticed in the new pdf :D

Copying and pasting the text inside the quotations does not preserve line breaks.

On Page 2 there are two instances of "Error! Bookmark not defined." one at "Installing drivers to Windows PE" a second at "Install_Drivers.CMD".

I am not sure why but the new pdf is about 4x the size of the original one despite being about the same length and having no images.

WAIK (SP1) now available, maybe mention or add a download link on page 5 since its not immediately obvious?

BTW I integrated the LAN Driverpack before as well, a couple drivers did not integrate but those that did did not cause any problems. I am going to be looking further into the integration of the new series of driverpacks soon.

Keep up the good work :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Hi,

But where can I get the following file?

Install_MSD.cmd & Install_Network.cmd?

if "%installmsd%"=="true" call Install_MSD.cmd %MSDPath%
if "%installlan%"=="true" call Install_Network.cmd %LANPath%

thanks!

WOW. over 3000 downloads and no one has ever noticed that, including me.

Both lines should be changed to:

if "%installmsd%"=="true" call Install_Drivers.cmd %MSDPath%
if "%installlan%"=="true" call Install_Drivers.cmd %LANPath%

:rolleyes:

I found this after I download and read the pdf file.

but one more thing,

the code

set Drivers=% 1

should be change to

set Drivers=%1

:thumbup

and I have add the following to the build_all.cmd file:

Set installghost=true
Set GhostPath=C:\Apps\Ghost

if "%installghost%"=="true" xcopy %GhostPath% %PEDest%\mount\windows

and then, put the ghost32.exe(ver. 8.3) and ghostexp.exe to the folder - C:\Apps\Ghost.

Great guide IcemanND, Thanks!

Can someone use the the following in an example? I can't seem to wrap my head around this part. I understand that you create the file, but how does the syntax look?

Install_Drivers.CMD

When calling pass a variable pointing to the driver directory which contains the drivers you wish to install, the given directory will be recursively searched.

set Drivers=%1
set DestFolder=c:\winpe_x86
pushd %Drivers%
for /f %%i in ('dir /s /b *.inf') do ( peimg /inf:%%i %DestFolder%\mount\windows
if ERRORLEVEL 1 echo %%i>>%Drivers%\bad_driver.txt
)
popd

dir /s /b *.inf returns a list of all of the INF files in the directory passed to the batch file which is stored in the %Drivers% variable.

each file in the list is then passed to the PEIMG command to be processed and then the process is repeated until the end of the list.

Ok..... so let's say I have a directory called "MyDrivers" off of my C:\ drive. And that folder contains several subfolders with *.inf, *.cat, etc. files in them. How would I use the Install_Drivers.CMD file to parse those folders? (Like I said, I'm not understanding this part...)

dir /s /b *.inf returns a list of all of the INF files in the directory passed to the batch file which is stored in the %Drivers% variable.

each file in the list is then passed to the PEIMG command to be processed and then the process is repeated until the end of the list.

• 2 weeks later...

IThe information on DISK PART was a life saver. I had some problems applying a VISTA image I made months back. Used the DISK PART that was on the Win PE that is generated in the MDT as a genericx86.iso and it finally booted. Many thanks to you and the people of these forums for wonderful info. I'll post the problem I had and the solution for it in one of the threads here just incase anyone runs into this problem. Once again thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sir,

I went to your pdf for winpe creation and other good scripts, i Had one query i have created a master wim File , Using all you scripts, As i want to have the CD/DVD for the installation of Wim Images for Windows Xp, My master image is more than 5GB so when i burn the DVD its files system change from Bootable to UDf and then i am not able to but, So for that if want to split and Put diffrenton CD/DVD can help me in Step by Step procedure on how to split and and merge the wim image to Deploy on MAchine using CD/DVD or can show me any other ay to deploy the master image which is more then 5 GB,

Your Help is apprectiated..........

Thanks & Regards,

Sagar Sanghavi

I wrote up this tutorial for my coworkers but my boss is reluctant to let me give it out. He's afraid i will create too much additional support work for me.

So rather than let it collect dust on my hard drive I thought I would at least post it here for everyone else's reading pleasure.

If you have additions, changes, find errors, etc. let me know and I'll update as appropriate and give credit where due.

Also, this does not have anything to do with WDS directly; though I'm sure that some of the processes described in the document may apply.

1/14 - added export command to build_all.cmd script and removed erroneous spaces. Updated information on adding Mass storage drivers for current Mass Storage Driverpack version - Thanks DigeratiPrime. 1439 prior downloads

8/25 - updated added method for adding drivers to running PE and shrinking image using export command. Thanks to p4ntb0y for the suggestions. 896 prior downloads

7/26 - Updated PDF to reflect comments from JuMz and chiners_68. Thanks guys. 140 prior downloads

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried this guide, first i've made the winPE cd. Then i added the boot.wim to boot images on WDS. I also made an image using imagex and the Windows PE cd. But when i boot a computer via PXE, the windows vista environment starts and runs X:\Windows\system32\wpinit After that it does nothing. Anyone got an idea what this could be?

Thanks

Philippe.