Intel "Eaglelake" Chipset

nmX.Memnoch

If iNTEL does it right it should be 300MB/s for each device as well if they do it like SAS witch is very simular to SATA. But they use port multipliers, and that´s in my eyes a downgrade to your harddrives (not optical drives).
It's not Intel's choice on how the port multipliers are limited. That's up to the SATA International Organization.
Now they want to use SATA as PATA again, and using port multipliers, so "multidrop" like and not point-to-point.
I think it's going to be more like SCSI instead of PATA. One of the advantages of SCSI was that it allowed the controller to talk to each drive individually instead of in turn (like PATA). Even at that, for desktop implementations I don't think there's going to be a performance penalty at all, even if it's four drives per channel. I'm thinking they'll probably implement it at 2 drives per channel.

The port multipliers have always been part of the eventual goal of the SATA spec. I remember talk of it from years ago.

no, i know the drives can't fill the available bandwidth. but is'nt it that the controllers max available bandwidth is 6Gb/s?

No, it´s still 300MB/s, and in your words 3Gbps

sata 3, not 2

*sigh*

Read this...again.

SATA 6Gbps isn't going to be out for a while. The latest newsletter says "by the end of the decade" and that they "expect to deliver a viable spec by mid-2008". If the spec doesn't come out until the middle of next year, that means the earliest we'll probably see products will be beginning to mid-2009.

http://www.sata-io.org/SATA_IO_Newsletter_may_2007.htm

nmX.Memnoch,

I think we are talking on the same line here, and yes I know what´s www.sata-io.org ;).

I personaly just would not put a boot-drive on a multiplier, just storage and optical drives. It´s nice that intel uses it on a 300MB/s interface, looks more marketing then needs, but it would be more usefull on a 600MB/s interface (bus).

Did you see the new Seagate 7200.11 by the way? They clame 105MB/s max. sustained :).

I knew they were close to coming out but wasn't sure if they were or not. That's a pretty hefty claim for sustained transfer rates. If it's true I'll be upgrading my drives as soon as I can. Have you seen any reviews yet?

I'm sure the 250GB/platter helps...as does the additional cache. Of course, Samsung just put out drives with 334GB/platter. Not that I would buy a Samsung drive (personal preference), but it's hard to believe they beat both Seagate and Hitachi to the milestone.

No reviews or benchmarks that I know of.

I only got them on my Mexican provider pricelist and sales tells me that they should be here in 2 weeks, so let´s see if that is true.

It seems that the Samsungs are doing well, told you that also in an other threat. Selling them here and still no returns from RMA (not that I sold much of them). I saw the user reviews on Newegg and people love them, they are also so quiet.

Hitachi has 5 platters for there 1TB drive, so they must get a bit warmer and be using some more juice and making more noise. Only had the 320GB (160GB per platter) versions my self but never had the ones with 200GB per platter...

SATA 6Gbps isn't going to be out for a while. The latest newsletter says "by the end of the decade" and that they "expect to deliver a viable spec by mid-2008". If the spec doesn't come out until the middle of next year, that means the earliest we'll probably see products will be beginning to mid-2009.
I think 802.11n is a great example of how ridiculously dragged out specification writing is with these standards committees.