product key

hello everyone: I am awaiting additional licenses for Win2k3 srvr, but I have a bit of a quandry. I have servers that need to be built and racked NOW for testing by us, while it may be another 2 or 3 days until I get the additional keys. Is it possible that I can build out the servers using a legitimate key that we have used in the past (I believe we will overextend by one though with the next build, as I purchased x amount of keys, and this would be x+1) and AFTER the server is built and configured, change up the product key in the registry? I am just trying to avoid rebuilding the server again.

I am not a 100% sure, but i believe you could install win2k3 with a temporary serial, then change it later. I believe you have 15 or 30 days to activate, so simply dont try to activate it.

-gosh

I believe you can install it without putting in the key. You'll have a 30 day grace period to enter a key and activate. Just keep in mind that patching it will be difficult until it's activated.

Are the licenses you're purchasing Volume licenses?

If it's Volume then you only need one key. You purchase additional licenses from there.

With Volume keys you have to use Volume media. Volume media and keys don't require activation. Currently on Windows XP and 2003 you kind of self-police your licenses. In other words you can install your servers now safe in the knowledge that you've already purchased the additional licenses.

Also, If I understand Volume licensing correctly...if these are replacing other servers you shouldn't have to purchase anymore licenses. Again if I understand it correctly, under a Volume Licensing scheme you purchase licenses for the number of machines you have online at any given moment.

• 2 weeks later...