Did I just wasted 25% more?

Comparing the new P35's mobos

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Gigabyte

AND

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Gigabyte

I mean what, the single and only difference between the 2 is that the 35C can also support DDR3 right?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't almost no difference since even if DDR3 has higher mhz at the moment it has higher latency? And isn't most likely the DDR2 (800mhz 4-4-4-12) will be excelent for at least several years? Not to mention that DDR3 will be much more expensive for at least 1-2 years, and "even" if you want to take out your DDR2 and put DDR3 (I read it's about what 5% performance boost?) there are only 2 DIMM slots, meaning that you won't be able to go over 2GB unless you pay about 2.5x more for a 2x2GB stick, which is also very rare. And by that time probabely the system will be just better off with 4GB of DDR2 (2 * 2x1GB sticks)

So did I just wasted the money by buying the 35C variant? I was just browsing a bit mainly for the case and it just strike me. Should I try to phone and tell them I want just the 35 variant?

that's a good question and i think you answered it yourself.

i thought maybe the p35c supported more 1066 ddr2 memory modules, but i just checked the memory support lists and it looks like both of them support the exact same ddr2 chips...so i think the only difference between them is the ddr3 support.

p35 chipset will probably be old by the time ddr3 is affordable ;)

DDR3 is useful for power consumption: up to DDR2, memories would see 0 and 1 as if voltage is below or over certain threshold. DDR3 understands "if voltage varies enough" and this helps lower voltages.

Plus,

DDR3 further reduces the memory voltage. In the past few years we have moved from 2.5V with DDR to 1.8V with DDR2. DDR3 drops memory voltage to 1.5V, which is a 16% reduction from DDR2. There are also additional built-in power conservation features with DDR3 like partial refresh. This could be particularly important in mobile applications where battery power will no longer be needed just to refresh a portion of the DRAM not in active use. There is also a specification for an optional thermal sensor that could allow mobile engineers to save further power by providing minimum refresh cycles when the system is not in high performance mod

However, it's true DDR3 won't give you any performance boost atm, or at too high price.

Technical you are right, however, when you take a look in reallife powerconsumtion you will see no diferences when it comes to a complete system.

DDR3 still needs some more work in my eyes ;).

EDIT: Forgot to say, DDR3 is great for OCing :D, that´s some thing for sure...

Edited by puntoMX

Phoned them and they were OK to change my motherboard to the http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Gigabyte

As you guys said, only pro thing for the DDR3 is the tiny decrease in consumption, but you still get a lot more performance with DDR2. I mean I was ok spending 40$ more if they throwed 4 DIMM slots for DDR3 as well, that would'v made it so much more feasable, but since it's only 2, and most likely til DDR3 will outperform DDR2 at a equivalent low price as DDR2 has right now it will take at least few years.

Only thing I hope is that Gigabyte did not passed out on the quality check on this one compared with the P35C version which has the DDR3

Edited by Messerschmitt

If you OC DRR3 it outperforms DDR2, and forget that powerconsumption please ;).

The guys from Xbit-labs made a review on DDR3, interesting to see that indeed powerconsumption lowers with 2 to 6 watt´s when 1GB is used :).

Edited by puntoMX

Just wanted to say that powerconsumption could be lower, but most 1333MHz DDR3 modules work on 1.8volts, so that will be the normal voltage of DDR2. With other words, it´s almost the same consumption...