HELP! Can't get rid of Windows XP

REPPIN'NJIT

My brother try to use a burned copy of Windows XP Professional and the product key won't work. It won't let me log on with out activating windows. How do I just get rid of the new Operating System and go back to the old one?

Let me guess...were the first 5 character of the product key FCKGW?

Kel's right, pretty much your only option is to a re-install with a valid (read: legal) version of the operating system. You can probably access the system via "SAFE MODE", but if you need to get any files off of the drive, you'll probably need to use a BartPE or Linux live CD of some kind.

My brother try to use a burned copy of Windows XP Professional and the product key won't work. It won't let me log on with out activating windows. How do I just get rid of the new Operating System and go back to the old one?

If all you want to do is get the XP off his drive, and he has a floppy drive on the machine, first find a boot floppy, and boot the system from the floppy drive. To do this you have to change the boot sequence in the CMOS. Also make sure that FDISK is on the floppy. An old Windows 98 boot disk works well. When you get a C: prompt, start FDISK. Delete the partition that has XP on it. It will show up as a non-DOS operating system. That's OK. Once the partition is deleted, the machine now has no operating system on it. You are now free to reload any OS that you want. Remember, XP needs a valid key, but you could also load one of the many fine Linux OS's that are available on the net for free, leagally.

If he doesn't have a floppy drive, you can open the case and connect a floppy drive and cable to the floppy connector on the motherboard. Make sure you also plug in the power cable.

I didn't include a step-by-step process, but it is not that hard to figure out.

Hope this helps.

Edited by vic51369