Direct X 9.0c variations

Offler

PS : On Windows ME, DX9.0c does not install if SFC.DLL, SFPDLL.DLL and SMGR.DLL are missing, which happens if System File Protection and/or System Restore is removed from the OS (not sure anymore which of them those files actually belong to).

SFC.DLL and SFPDLL.DLL are from System File Protection, and SMGR.DLL is from System Restore.

I'm sure dummy files would work just as good, wouldn't they?

the_guy

Well no they don't as I have just tried it with 0 bytes text files renamed to those dlls and the installer fails.

Extract of the dxerror.log :

[09/08/07 16:52:11] module: dsetup32(Mar 31 2006), file: instcat.cpp, line: 51, function: LoadSfcDLL

Failed API: LoadLibrary()

Error: (1157) - One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

Unable to load sfc.dll.

What I did to actually install DX9 was to extract those files from the cabs and put them in the unpacked DX setup folder.

• 4 weeks later...
What I did to actually install DX9 was to extract those files from the cabs and put them in the unpacked DX setup folder.

And it is useless because the new D3Dx dlls don't work anymore on our OSes :

snapcn7.png

All those are not worky :

d3dx9_32.dll

d3dx9_33.dll

d3dx9_34.dll

d3dx9_35.dll

d3dx10.dll

d3dx10_33.dll

d3dx10_34.dll

d3dx10_35.dll

Edited by eidenk

• 1 month later...

After few months of testing various versions of Direct X and Net Framework i may say i have finally made some progress.

Since last version of DirectX9.0c which is oficially supporting Windows 9x is version from December 2006 the question is if there is any progress while installing newer versions.

It depends on only one factor - if the system is using NetFramework and managed code.

I have installed NetFramework 2.0 - clean installation, without any trouble. Then i made a backup copy of system and i have installed "random" version of DirectX9 which was available with Prey game.

Then i made some tests with 3dMark 2001 and 2003.

After the test i reistalled DirectX with actual version (november 2007). After reboot i repeated the tests again and i was able to see some performance upgrade.

At this point i might say that managed code can help system to run more smoother if it is installed correctly (first framework and then DX) and newer versions of DirectX can upgrade managed code files and user can benefit from it, even when core dll's are not being upgraded.

hard to say. i thought that Net is way how to ruin your system and later i made some test... hard to say if it is doing something for common user but i am sure that it is cooperating with DX9 in quite positive way.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really expected for these to work

d3dx10.dll
d3dx10_33.dll
d3dx10_34.dll
d3dx10_35.dll

But, since these don't work:

d3dx9_32.dll
d3dx9_33.dll
d3dx9_34.dll
d3dx9_35.dll

That means no PES2008 on Windows 98.

Can anyone add some games that depend on these so we can make kinda list?

But, since these don't work:

d3dx9_32.dll
d3dx9_33.dll
d3dx9_34.dll
d3dx9_35.dll

That means no PES2008 on Windows 98.

Can anyone add some games that depend on these so we can make kinda list?

You can trick PC games by renaming the old d3dx9_xx.dll.

But most DX9.0c games drop support for Win98se, and it is the problem.