Computer restart one time a day

hashess

Hi all. First of all, sorry for my english but I do my best to be well understood. (I'm belgian )

Well, I bought my new computer a week ago, here are the componnents :

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (AM2, Dual Core)

Memory : 2*512mo Geil Dual Channel (DDR2)

Motherboard : Asus M2N-E

Hard Disk : Maxtor 300giga 16mb SATA2

Graphic Card : XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX Edition

DVD Burner : Pioneer 107-D

Tower+PSU = Antec Super Landboy + Qtec 650W Triple Fan Gold Edition

My problem is that when I turn the computer on in the morning, when I arrive in windows, I can use it about 10min and then it give me a error message and I have to reboot. Then, the next restart, everything is okay and I can use the computer for hours with no problems.

One time, the error message was about the memory and this morning it was with the hard disk. I wrote the problem here is what it was writen :

0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xB97E9558, 0xB97E9254,0xF83D7810)
Ntfs.sys - Address F83D7810 base at F83B3000, DateStamp 41107eea

I already changed the motherboard and the PSU. I think the problem is in windows only. Can somone help me please?

For information, my antivirus is NOD32 and I installed windows 3 times on 3 days. The last installation was this morning. I installed Asus drivers but not the IDE one because people on another forum told me it may cause problems like that (but as if the IDE drivers aren't there, the problem is still there).

I run memtest+ 1.65 2hours ago and no problems. But is it true that this software does not work with dual channel memory and that, in this fact, no problems can't be found as if somes are there?

You need to wait more than half an hour before asking for help again. We will see your post when we check the forums.

As for your problem - go through the basic troubleshooting tests. There are two ways that you can do this:

1) Remove all hardware except for the absolute basics. Run stability tests to see if the system is stable. If it is, add one piece of hardware and run the tests again. Continue doing this until all your hardware is installed. Hopefully at some point, you'll have encountered the problem and you'll be able to pinpoint or narrow down the source of the problem.

2) Remove one piece of hardware at a time, run tests, and see if the problem persists.

The fact that the error messages aren't consistent leads me to think that it's either a motherboard issue or a power supply issue. Check your voltages to make sure things are in check. Anything more than 10% off what it should be is a possible source of the problem.

Moved to Hardware Hangout

Don't know about memtest+, but to me it's looking like a hard drive related problem. You should check your hard drive with the maxtor tools and make a full surface scan. Also when using memtest like product, you should only test one dimm at time when your computer have two or more.

To narrow the problem, could you tell us what are installing exactly on your XP (i suppose it's a 32bits one). Also check the eventlogs and activate most of logging in the local policy and audit policy this may help to narrow the problem.

Yeah, could be a Maxtor i.c.w. nVidia problem indeed (nForce 4 and up).

and:

I run memtest+ 1.65 2hours ago and no problems. But is it true that this software does not work with dual channel memory and that, in this fact, no problems can't be found as if somes are there?

Doesn´t have any thing to do with it, it will find problems if it exists ;).

Okay thanks for your answers guys :D.

Well, in fact I already tested the materials, and the HDD has been tested with PowerMax (tool from Maxtor) and it tells that the HDD is good. So...

I tested only one memory (1*512) this morning but it even restarted.

I installed Kubuntu 3 hours ago and I used an old HDD (IDE this time) and it never hang up. After, I connected the SATA one and I'm looking how to mount it. But no problems until now...

Tomorrow, I will bring the memory to the store and I will try another one. If the problem persist the only issue will be the hard disk because everything have been changed except this 2 and the graphic card but it can't be this last one because i play Toca 3 for hours and nothing hang up and everything is totally normal.

Well, we'll see....

But, I ha ve a question : Is it possible that the sata2 isn't supported correctly by windows xp? I read something about a patch for AMD processor, do I have to install it?

Thanks a lot one more time guys ;)

Probably the hard drive, when it's warmed up it reads/writes fine but on a cold start makes various errors.

o_O You make it sound like this is normal for any drive. C'mon, let's get real here. Let's wait for him to do tests and let us know. It's silly to post and say "it's probably this and that" when we do not know for sure.

i never heard of a serial ata 2 drive not being reconized by windows.. but i dont put anything past microsoft.. also there were compatiblity issues with maxtor and nforce motherboards... i dunno know if the problem continues with that series or not.. if u email maxtor they will send u the firmware to update.. if the serial numbers on the drive is the ones being affected.. u said u changed the mb, and psu.. so thats crosses those out.. unless for some u known reason u got nother bad one.. u said u tested 1 memory but wut about the other one? did u mem test one at a time?

p.s

i had a tricky problem with my memory once... the computer would not boot when cool or cold.. and constantly restart a few times.. after a min or second reboot it would work for hrs. then when shut down.. start all over again.. so wut i did was cooled the memory and viola it did the same thing.. i found out when my memory was cool it acted up instead of when it was hott... and u installed windows 3 times? if u did its either some software or driver ur installing without realizing it.. or a hardware issue.. try installing windows when installed dont install wut u usually install. and see if that cures anything