Speeding up Win2k Boot using xp boot loader

Over at the Neowin forums i ran into this topic

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=305221

they suggested replacing the nt boot loader of 2k with that of xp to speed up the booting process.

after some looking on the web i was able to do it. it does help. it does boot faster than it did before, as in getting to the logo faster. the two files I replaced are ntdetect.com and ntldr

i would say about a 5 seconds faster. Try it out on your test machines and let me know if it works for you and how much faster it boots :)

I have tried it in 4 more machines, so far no problem and same effect . it boots to the logo almost instantly. I was also able to do this without going into safe mode.

Edit:

Just back with more to report, I've installed this on as many 2k boxes as i could only, no set backs yet, all works fine and boot times are shorter.

Please tell me if you have tried it and your impressions on it. I'd really like to know, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you need to overwrite (AFTER having made a BACKUP, and IF you are sure you have an alternative way to boot the machine), the following two files:

NTDETECT.COM

NTLDR

(you can get them from any already installed XP, and, if I recall correctly they are even between the files in SP2)

I have read some reports that the files must be in the SAME language than the original install, but I cannot confirm it, italian and english mix well, cannot say for other languages.

See my post here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=33030

for more info on the NT/2k/XP boot process.

jaclaz

Not sure, but it shouldnt work on NT4 - one great way to use this is creating NT boot disc - just COPY ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com to cd/floppy and thats all, you will be able to boot to windows from boot medium. I use it together with modified boot.ini, that will allow me to attach debugger

Holy crap, I just realized after reading my first post again that I didn't tell what two files they are, I feel like such a dumb butt :o , sorry guys I guess I must of been out of it. Thanks to for poiting that out and telling everyone the files.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Used Win2k3 Sp1's and also worked like a charm. For some reason my WinXP installation doesn't have NTDETECT.COM.

Any1 know why=?

Look harder (maybe unchecking "Hide System files") , it has to be there or it won't boot.

jaclaz