Critical security updates for DirectX/Windows Media

Prozactive

Microsoft released yet another critical security update for DirectX/Windows Media components in June (reference: MS10-033). Has anyone successfully installed them in Win9x/ME? I tried manually installing the updated Windows 2000 files (Asycfilt.dll, Quartz.dll, wmvcore.dll) but got the infamous "Class not registered" error in Windows Media Player 9. I traced the cause of the error to the updated Quartz.dll but I was unable to register it with Regsvr32, getting the following error again:

LoadLibrary("Quartz.dll") failed.

GetLastError returns 0x0000001f.

Interestingly, the system passes all Dxdiag.exe DirectX diagnostics. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by Prozactive

Either version may already be loaded in memory... Reboot. Don't try to open either IE, OE or WMP. Try to register it again, as soon as Windows finishes loading. If that doesn't work, then you'll be sure there's something incompatible with it. If so, you still can fallback to the previous version, register it again, substitute the newer one it for and try to use the newer file without reregistering. Some files do work OK, unless you decide to register them, provided the previous version was already registered. It's an ugly hack, but you can try it.

I can register quartz.dll and it seems to run fine, I have played a video with Windows Media Player 6 successfully after overwriting the old one and registering it.

That was a good surprise and another benefit of having KernelEx installed as I am not aware any quartz.dll from 2K has ever run on 98/ME without it.

Edited by loblo

Thanks for the advice, dencorso. Unfortunately it didn't work as I suspected, since I was already able to freely rename the file in Windows. I tried registering the new version of Quartz.dll several times after a clean reboot, including one attempt in safe mode. All failed with the same error message I reported earlier.

Curiously, the version of Quartz.dll included in the Win2000 update was 6.05.2600.1316 and not 6.05.01.0914 as stated in KB975562. The existing version of Quartz.dll on my system was 6.05.01.0902. I also looked at the update.inf file included with the Win2000 update to see how the update was implemented (especially registry changes) but unfortunately I'm not very familiar with INF files.

Edited by Prozactive

• 1 month later...