ThermalTake Armor cooling upgrade (what should I get?)

HLDoom32768

many people have said over at forums such as silentpcreview that those side fans do cause the temps to actually go up. go and research if you want to. go for the 120mm in front. if temps are too high then we can try to do something about it.

wait for intels price drops next month.

yeah the 120mm fans in front are cheaper also, it just seems that air directly on the computer parts would work really well. Thanks for the link, as I've never heard of SilentPCReview, it looks like it could help...

Are the price drops going to be large ones?

I have that case with two of the cages (six hard drives in RAID5). They're designed to not only cool the case, but to cool your drives. Some hard drives can run rather warm, which just adds additional heat in the case (obviously). The cages help reduce that by keeping the drives ice cool.

The only thing I don't like about the cages is that you can only put three drives in each cage. Supermicro has some setups that allow four or five drives in the same amount of space. The system I have all of those drives in is my Active Directory domain controller, DHCP server, AD DNS, WINS, file server, etc, etc, etc. Right now it has eight hard drives in it (two in the upper bay, six in two iCages). Not that I move it that often, but when I do it's cumbersome because of the size and weight!

so I've been asking around and doing more research, and I'm wondering... will an extra 120mm fan really cool it off more? I plan to run 3-4 hdds so I don't need the hdd space, just the cooling. Maximum PC had their "Target your Hotspots" segment, and they stated that they where surpized that... and I quote, "we were actually surprised to find that running the second 8cm fan up front didn't have an impact on the case's ambient temperature." The case they where using was the Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 so it isn't may case, and it is an 80mm not a 120, but... would it really change temps? My temps are good right now, but when I get my new rig I assume my vid card (either the 8800 series, or the ATI HD2900XT card) will run really hot so I am wanting to keep them cool. Processor won't be an issue as I'll use my Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm as it works in an LGA 775 and I plan to get a Dual core anyways...

So what do you think? Will an extra 120mm fan or a 250mm side fan really cool things down at all? or cool them down enough to make it worth my money?

read the thread first! i have already said that intel plans on price cuts. Q6600=$266

Meh. By that time there will be a E6800 on the market. Much faster than a Q6600.

An overclocked E6700 beats an overclocked Q6600.

Not only that but most games are getting to be more dual core now. Quad is not even starting to be used.

It would be a waste of money in my opinion. I'd rather get a top of the line dual core.

quad will also be used in gaming (crysis)

Maybe. But I would still bet on a blazing fast dual core rather than a slower quad core (and not even a real quad at that.)

Plus, the dual core will run alot cooler. So you can overclock it, unlike the 'quad' which already runs hot.

well thats the only difference here, overclocking. most people dont overclock and if they do, its not to the max that the processor can go. if you take both processors at idle, the quad will win. when overclocked, the dual core. so i guess it all depends on how far people want to overclock.

I have that case with two of the cages (six hard drives in RAID5). They're designed to not only cool the case, but to cool your drives. Some hard drives can run rather warm, which just adds additional heat in the case (obviously). The cages help reduce that by keeping the drives ice cool.

The only thing I don't like about the cages is that you can only put three drives in each cage. Supermicro has some setups that allow four or five drives in the same amount of space. The system I have all of those drives in is my Active Directory domain controller, DHCP server, AD DNS, WINS, file server, etc, etc, etc. Right now it has eight hard drives in it (two in the upper bay, six in two iCages). Not that I move it that often, but when I do it's cumbersome because of the size and weight!

so I've been asking around and doing more research, and I'm wondering... will an extra 120mm fan really cool it off more? I plan to run 3-4 hdds so I don't need the hdd space, just the cooling. Maximum PC had their "Target your Hotspots" segment, and they stated that they where surpized that... and I quote, "we were actually surprised to find that running the second 8cm fan up front didn't have an impact on the case's ambient temperature." The case they where using was the Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 so it isn't may case, and it is an 80mm not a 120, but... would it really change temps? My temps are good right now, but when I get my new rig I assume my vid card (either the 8800 series, or the ATI HD2900XT card) will run really hot so I am wanting to keep them cool. Processor won't be an issue as I'll use my Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm as it works in an LGA 775 and I plan to get a Dual core anyways...

So what do you think? Will an extra 120mm fan or a 250mm side fan really cool things down at all? or cool them down enough to make it worth my money?

Well, the idea behind the iCage cooling is to cool the drives. Keeping the drives cool will not only remove a hot spot in the case, but it'll help the drives last longer. If you're planning on running four drives I'd run them in two iCages...top and bottom spots in each iCage.

I'm getting ready to swap out my six Seagate 7200.8 250GB PATA drives for four Seagate 7200.10 400GB SATA 3Gb drives. Yeah, I lose 50GB total space (in RAID5), but the drive speeds will be faster (not just from moving to SATA, but the newer controller has more optimizations as well). Anyway, my point was that I'm going to run the four drives in the configuration I suggested. The other upshot is that it'll open up the middle drive slot in each iCage so that more air gets into the system itself.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

well thats the only difference here, overclocking. most people dont overclock and if they do, its not to the max that the processor can go. if you take both processors at idle, the quad will win. when overclocked, the dual core. so i guess it all depends on how far people want to overclock.

Yes. But if you overclock a regular dual core it will be faster than a quad while producing about the same heat (if not actually much less), plus its cheaper.