Browsing with windows Explorer

designxperts

We have 34 Dell optiplex computers with Windows Vista Ultimate on a domain. The problem is when using windows explorer to browse something for the first time for example a cd or dvd, a folder on the network...etc it takes a long time to open, there's a green bar at the top that has to go all the way to the end till i'm able to browse. i have other computers with Vista that aren't on a network and they don't give me the same problem, i'm able to browse while the bar is moving.

Thanks.

Edited by designxperts

N1k is right, network discovery is probably still running, and since you probably aren't running longhorn server on the back end (though you might idk) nothing is taking advantage of it yet. this only happens the first time correct? after that ever is fine?

Yes thats right we have Windows server 2003 R2 and it only happens the first time, yeah i think on most of the workstations network discovery is on, should turning it off stop this? And how please?

thanks

Edited by designxperts

Any ideas on how to stop network discovery?

If you stop network discovery none of your network computers will see your computer and vice versa. But you might turn it off and then try to access other computers by UNC.

It can be turned off in Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center.

If your Dell's are brand new and you allowed Dell to preinstall Vista - make sure you uninstall any bundled McAffee/Norton AV Trial software - these do have a major impact on Network Performance (both Local and Internet).

The best solution is to use the Dell REcovery DVD and reinstall yourself as this does not add any 'crapware' - just make sure you copy the DRIVERS folder before you format your HD's!

this is another thing that Vista that really puts me off to it.

Explorer has been butchered so badly.

they removed the toolbar, changed the interface, and i get the weird "Green bar filling up" at the top of the Window every time i open my Home folder.

it takes almost a minute for my Home folder to open because of that green bar.

my Home folder is the only one that does this. it's like its scanning all the files or something. no other folder does this.

i can open \Windows\System32 a lot faster, when it has 10 times as many files as my home folder.