Changing the password on a network printer

martins

Hi,

in my company, if I want to connect a network printer in my virtual PC, I will have to supply my username and password to login to my real PC. This real password has to be changed every month.

How can I change the password I supplied to connect the network printer?

All I can do right now is to delete the network printer, restart the computer, add the network printer, and then I can supply the new password. If I only remove and add without restarting, the old password will be used and ofcourse the access to the printer will be denied.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Jim,

thank for the reply.

That means every month I have to delete the printer, restart the windows, and add the printer again to change the password? Is there no better way to do this?

Martin

Perhaps with batch we can do something.

What "net use" in a command prompt command say when password is wrong and printer installed ?

I think we can "net use \\server\printer /d /y" and reconnet to printer with "net use \\server\printer /user:YouName *" (* will ask you password).

Edit :

Cant be done. Windows remembers login credentials to network resources.

Jim

Wrong, you can login with custom login & password using "net use" or "map letter using different password", it works great with folders, I think "net use" will work for printers too ...

Huh?!? How & Where is this "Network" printer connected (a true network printer should be direct IP), it sounds like you have the printer physically connected to the host machine (and shared) & the VPC is connecting to the share ... Yes?

If that's the case, think DOS to find your answer.

Capture the port on the Host Machine!

net use LPT1 \\Machine\Share /persistent:yes

Then let the VPC have access to the host's LPT1

No share access = no permissions needed = who cares how often the password changes ... All that is required is that the host machine has permission to access itself. ;)

Hi,

thank you for the replies.

My real PC is connected to the company network. The printers are connected in this network as well, not directly to my PC. There are two network printers that I connected in my VPC. The first one doesn't have a space on it's name, and the name of the second one has a space.

With the command

net use \\ServerName\PrinterName /user:UserName

I can supply the new password.

Thank you, that works for the first printer (without space).

The problem now is that the second printer's name is \\ServerName\pdfFactory Pro

I tried this

net use "\\ServerName\pdfFactory Pro" /user:UserName

and I could supply the new password as well, but then this error message comes out:

System error 53 has occured.

The network path was not found.

Was this caused because the name has space in it? What is the right syntax for it?

Thank you in advance.

Syntax is right, try to use net use with a shared folder with a space. I just tried with folder and it works. Make sure you havn't make a fault in name too :P

try with a * before /user like

net use "\\pc 1\f 2" * /user:xxx

Syntax is right, try to use net use with a shared folder with a space. I just tried with folder and it works. Make sure you havn't make a fault in name too :P

try with a * before /user like

net use "\\pc 1\f 2" * /user:xxx

Somehow I still get the same error message (I have check, recheck, and rerecheck to make sure there is no typo :)):

Type the password for \\sowo1239\pdfFactory Pro:

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Is it a problem because the printer is a pdf printer (I think it might not be a real printer, maybe a program in a pc in the network...)?

Another question, it seems that after restarting windows is using the old password again. Is this "net use" changing the password only for this session and using the old password again after restarting?

If then actually I want to change (or rather to update) the password monthly, just as I have to change my password to login monthly.

Thank you in advance.

net use is just for the session ... but you can type the password directly in batch, and change it each month ...

Try to share pdf printer without space tp test.