Error installing Visual Studio 2005 on Vista 32-bit

WizardZedd

Hey,

I've got a problem that I've been trying for days to solve, with no luck.

I'm attempting to install Visual Studio 2005 Pro on Windows Vista Ultimate x86. Every time I do, though, it copies all the files, adds all the registry entries, and then craps out with the following error:

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x800736FD.

I've completely shut down all virus scanner related processes and services, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the .NET 2.0 Framework, nothing works. I Google for the HRESULT code, and get absolutely nothing. Like, literally, nothing. It's as if that HRESULT code doesn't exist.

I tried a few common solutions about error 1935 that I found. One of these was deleting all the existing *.VC80.* folders in the %windir%\Winsxs folder. I did that, and the error message changed. Or rather, it was the same error, same HRESULT code, but it complained about a different assembly: Microsoft.VC80.ATL, which was one of the ones I deleted. I replaced the files back into the folder, and the message changed back. So it seems to be only complaining about assemblies which are not already there. It seems to me, that it's unable to register new .NET assemblies into the GAC.

If anyone has some hints or ideas about how to track this error down, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been pulling my hair out for days now.

Just found this at MS.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb265237.aspx

Seems they released a service pack to install it on vista.

Those updates all deal with permissions issues, but are installed after MSVS. I've installed VS2k5 several times on both x86 & x64 Vista both before and after RTM. While I don't recall having any issues during the install it may be worth trying XPSP2 compatability mode and/or toggling UAC on/off.

I was using an MSDN DVD copy of MSVS2k5 for all the installs, and think UAC was off during all of them. I don't recall using compatibility mode but it's worth a shot.

I just tried putting setup.exe into WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, and the installer errored out almost immediately, saying I had to install XP Service Pack 2 before installing VS2005. So that didn't work. :/

As for turning UAC off, I tried that earlier, and it didn't seem to help. At one point, I had UAC disabled, and I was logged into the Administrator account, and the installer still gave me the same error.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get this resolved? I am getting the same error. New vista install, office 2007, not much else..if you get this solved can you email me the solution

ocsscott@twcny.rr.com, getting sick of dual booting.

thanks

I never faced this type of error.... try to install with another media

Also my experience, I've installed VS2005 on my main system with no problems and it ran fine even without the Vista updates and I have Orcas running on my other system. One runs Vista Ultimate the other Home Premium. I would say it's your media also.

Well fixed it on my pc.

I turned of AV (ACG here), turn off windows defender and any antispyware app

I had UAC off and Installed using run as admin. Seems like something was locking the file or reg causing the error. I tried atleast 5 installs with multiple media and versions untill I turened everything off now its fine.

Just remember to turn it all back on after the install

good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Did you ever get this resolved? I am getting the same error. New vista install, office 2007, not much else..if you get this solved can you email me the solution

ocsscott@twcny.rr.com, getting sick of dual booting.

thanks

In my case, the problem was the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. Something (probably my graphics card drivers) installed an older version, and Visual Studio just didn't care for it. I installed the latest library from MDSN and all is well.

--r

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem! The only difference is, that I get this error when installing one of the prerequisites - .Net Framework 2.0 SDK. I disabled antivirus (NOD), reinstalled Visual C++ Redistributables, reinstalled J# Framework - still the same error...

And I was so happy with Vista for several months :thumbdown