Xp Slow To Boot ?

MadMick

Gidday

My XP Pro installation has in the past two weeks started taking ages to boot up, it goes through the post/bios/login normally, but then seems to sit and think for 20-30 seconds before loading any programs, this can take anywhere from 60 secs to 3 minutes to finish??.

Also, a lot of the programs that are running and should be in the system tray are not showing, they *are* running, but no icons show in the system tray.

The system is a:

P4 2.4G

GA-8IRX M/B

1G ddr 2700 ram

256MB radeon 9600 pro video

yadda yadda yadda

Its running SPI with all the security patches, NAV 2004 with latest defs, full scan finds nothing, latest ZoneAlarm Pro, latest Ad-aware, latest Spyware blaster and latest SpyBot, all find nothing that shouldn't be there.

With 48 processes running, the CPU is at 99% idle most of the time.

Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

Windows xp normaly starts going slow after you add alot of programs you should delete programs that you do not use and also after you've installed sp1 your computer slows down on boot.

Yeah I know it will slow down after adding software, that's not unique to XP though, and I haven't added anything new to cause the slowdown, it just started booting slow one day ? :)

Try looking at your startup; open up MMC (Start-Run-mmc) Then add the snap-in "Services".  Follow a guide to remove services you don't need:

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_servi...ces/index.shtml

Thanx mate, but I have basically stripped most things out of the start up already, the stuff running now is the stuff that should be running and was running fine before it decided to be a s***head :)

instead write services.msc to command line

I'll suggest metaproducts startup organizer Its really organized :)

I'm sure everyone has a same problem I've it myself

above all the reasons I've too many usb devices and too many hardware installed, I'm thinking xp tries to load 'em up and this slows it.

I've another problem though when I open taskbar I see no username from any programs? I had tweaked it too much but dunno what caused it.

you can close most services but it doesn't really get you anywhere

try this page has information about the services if you dunno what they do

Black Viper

also you might have a non compatible driver maybe ?

Thanx for your input guys, I have already done most of what was suggested, I think XtremeMaC hit the nail on the head with his "too much hardware" comment :D .

I have recently added another HDD, a Zip drive and a couple of other doodads :) .

Thanx again for the suggestions, looks like a clean install coming up :D:rolleyes:

Have any of you found a way to speed it logging in after it boots up? My XP machine boots up quick, 25-35 seconds. But then it take literally 4-6 minutes to go through the whole login proccess. Any Suggestions?

I'm running on a P4 2.2GHz, 512 MB RAM

swift how many progarams do you have in your start-up?

if you have too many it's probably causing the delay.

also you can disable some services. and you can defrag your hdd!!!

put the .exe & .dll's at the beginning of the hdd