Horrible Problem

Brando569

extensively tested everything else, i forgot i had another socket 939 cpu layin around, that wasnt the problem. i also tested the PSU output with a voltmeter and everything was on par, looks like its either the motherboard or the ram. most likely the motherboard, its a shame its only a year old

Try to clear CMOS from your motherboard and test the system again.

already tried that to no avail :(

Well, we can try some other troubleshooting methods:

a) Test to see if the VGA is the problem, unplug the display card and turn on the PC, it should give you some "beep" sound. If it does, try put back the card and start again. It may be the display card hang up the system.

B) If the first method not working, try check the ram. your mb have 4 slots and you should used the ram slots 0 and 2. Try pull out the ram in slot 0, move the ram in slot 2 to slot 0 and start the pc. If the mb support single band then the system should started. If not, the system should give you some "Beep" sound. If you got "Beep" sound, try put back the ram you took from slot 0 into slot 2.

Hope it will work. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i kind of tried that, but my problem is my pc speaker doesnt work so no beeps are available. first i just thought it was the speaker was messed up then i found out one of the leads came undone and had my father reattach it, and it still didnt work. i might just be easier to buy a new speaker first instead of buying a whole new motherboard. those little things cant be that expensive can they?

OK!

No sound on problem.

In first method, if the system didn't hang up without a display card, it will process the boot up process. Just look at the HDD LED to see if the HDD keep running. If it does, that means there is some problem with the display card. Try get another card to plug in to test. If the HDD is the same status as before you unplug the display card, try second method.

In the ram test, if your MB support single band start, you should see the display. If not, display will give you error message. If not display, try switch the ram as I said to see if it would help.

If all methods don't work, try put the ram into slot 1 and 3.

Good Luck!!!!!

One other thing you may want to check, when you check the cables(from the case like Power, Reset, HDD LED), try check again because most of the time people "Miss-Pin" the cables. For the FDD, if you have a FDD, try double check the back to see if the connector is connected normally because most of the time when people reconnect their system, they plug the 34 pin connector half way in or the 4pin power 1 pin left. This cause the system hang because the 12V short to the GND. Check it and make sure its not the issue to cause the problem!!!

how would master/slave setting on his HD kill video signal?

Some motherboards won't boot if it doesn't get the correct signals from attached devices -- i.e. a single drive is attached and set to slave but the motherboard expects it to be master. :)

how would master/slave setting on his HD kill video signal?

Some motherboards won't boot if it doesn't get the correct signals from attached devices -- i.e. a single drive is attached and set to slave but the motherboard expects it to be master. :)

I agree. Especially the old school motherboards! When I gotten an IDE cable on wrong, it failed to even give any video.

Thus I freaked out and thought that the PC was damaged!

im over my friends house and he told me to try unplugging everything except the ram, cpu, video card and power to the mobo and see if that helps, it stopped reading the HDD at boot up but theres still no display. he also had an extra pc speaker that he told me to try, i plugged it in and there still werent any beeps. were going to try a few more things and swap out some of my stuff for his, if none of this works i guess im gonna get a new motherboard