Upgrade Options

tb582

My DH-800 has been giving me some video issues and I would like to know what my options are for upgrading the mobo but keeping the same processors and memory ... I currently have a dh-800 with Dual Xeon Nocona processors and CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) and a Antec TRUE550 EPS12V EPS12V 550W Power Supply - What boards can I upgrade to?

well you would need a socket 603/604, but your looking to pay alot of money for a new mobo.. and just for the video.

have you thought about getting a cheap pci video card?

I'm afrade Maya/ Afer Effects wont run very well on cheap video card

DH-800 is your mobo, right? so what exactly is giving you the problems?

you said video, so wouldnt that be your video card? thats unless your mobo's agp connections has gone bad.

yes I do belive it to be a issue with my video card but still I cant go out and buy just a cheap card and expect that it will run the programs I want.

what video card do you have? and whats the problem with it? and do you have another one that you could possibly test with?

i just dont want you to go out and get a new mobo for a few hundred dollars when your current one works perfectly.

Ummm not to be a killjoy or anything but there are still some pci video cards out there that still are pretty danm good.

Here is a selection of 256 meg pci cards from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=256MB

My point is = Don't assume it is dead because someone said cheap. Any of those cards will run Maya/After Effects very well and still allow for most gaming.

right now I have a 3dlabs VP880 Pro, and I currently dont have a card that I can use as a test. - and I dont think those PCI cards would live up to my 3dlabs card...

The first thing he needs to do is borrow another video card to see if that's even the problem. He's looking at workstation level cards (think Quadro FX or FireGL). Those aren't cheap so purchasing another one "just to see if that's it" isn't really the right answer. The same can be said of purchasing a new motherboard.

@tb582: What kind of graphics issues are you seeing?

Also, in the future when doing a dual Xeon system...think Supermicro and only Supermicro. The board you have is "ok" but it uses a chipset aimed at the desktop market. Few people actually knew (or cared) that the i875 would support Xeon CPUs. :)

The first thing he needs to do is borrow another video card to see if that's even the problem. He's looking at workstation level cards (think Quadro FX or FireGL). Those aren't cheap so purchasing another one "just to see if that's it" isn't really the right answer. The same can be said of purchasing a new motherboard.

@tb582: What kind of graphics issues are you seeing?

See this thread here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Error_computer_PROBLEM_t67202.html -I'm out of options, I'm fairly convinced that its my video card.

I saw no mention of the problem being your video card. :)

I'm going to assume you've tried all of the suggestions from that thread?

- CHKDSK all drives, one at a time

- Replace drive cables

- Move the pagefile

If you've tried all of that have you swapped out the hard drive? Being that the problem appears to be somewhere in your drive subsystem that's where I would start if doing the above steps doesn't fix the problem. Short of that you are correct in that it's time to replace the motherboard.

What are the exact details of the CPUs you have?

I saw no mention of the problem being your video card. :)

I'm going to assume you've tried all of the suggestions from that thread?

- CHKDSK all drives, one at a time

- Replace drive cables

- Move the pagefile

If you've tried all of that have you swapped out the hard drive? Being that the problem appears to be somewhere in your drive subsystem that's where I would start if doing the above steps doesn't fix the problem. Short of that you are correct in that it's time to replace the motherboard.

What are the exact details of the CPUs you have?

yes I have tired everything in the thread -

post-30558-1179886495_thumb.jpg post-30558-1179886507_thumb.jpg