Problem with KB931768

glentium

Tomcat, problem is with the Roots Certificate Update. The Advpack.dll that is in it is the one being slipstreamed instead of the newer one included in KB931768.

Update:

Still didn't slipstream kb931768, even without Roots Certificate Update. Maybe the problem really is with kb931768 itself. I tried slipstreaming just IE7 and it's hotfixes again and it's not taking kb931768 (I didn't really check the first time. I just thought it went fine cause I didn't see the error I mentioned in the first post).

Edited by glentium

hi TC & glentium! i got the same error too which happened at 2 different instances:

post-84520-1178871905_thumb.jpgpost-84520-1178871930_thumb.jpg

strange since the other night i tried it but with some of the other ie7 supposedly superceded by 931768 still included (as identified here: Support for hotfixes not appearing on Windows Update) ... yet everything went well without this specific error ... it could be something else ... i've attached too HFSLIP.log from both runs ... i also tried to see integrated HFs by using Kel's Windows Update List CPL addon NirSoft's WinUpdate List & it shows nothing of 931768 ... attached the result too ... thanks! btw, as a result too, ie7 was not installed ...

logs.7z

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Tomcat, problem is with the Roots Certificate Update. The Advpack.dll that is in it is the one being slipstreamed instead of the newer one included in KB931768.

Update:

Still didn't slipstream kb931768, even without Roots Certificate Update. Maybe the problem really is with kb931768 itself. I tried slipstreaming just IE7 and it's hotfixes again and it's not taking kb931768 (I didn't really check the first time. I just thought it went fine cause I didn't see the error I mentioned in the first post).

Its not taking because the root certificates update runs after the IE_7 Installer (assuming you have it set to SVCPACK) and its overriding that file. If you don't install the root certificates update, you will have a successful install. The same would apply if it was integrated.

Also, if you want the HF to run, I would put it in an already completed HFSLIP sourcess folder and update your svcpack.inf to reflect, making sure to stick the file information at the bottom of the list.

Try this. If the latter doesn't work, take the Root Certificates out, and see from there. If you get it to work, let us know.

hi TC & glentium! i got the same error too which happened at 2 different instances:

strange since the other night i tried it but with some of the other ie7 supposedly superceded by 931768 still included (as identified here: Support for hotfixes not appearing on Windows Update) ... yet everything went well without this specific error ... it could be something else ... i've attached too both HFSLIP.logs from both runs ... i also tried to see integrated HFs by using Kel's Windows Update List CPL addon NirSoft's WinUpdate List & it shows nothing of 931768 ... attached the result too ... thanks!

Its not going to work, because if you slip the update, it runs before IE 7 is installed.

Then, IE 7 will install over it. Then, the root certificates update will run over it.

So... there's a major version conflict issue here.

Run the Hotfix AFTER the IE 7 install manually in the slipstream process and see if that works.

thanks for this Veranor ... it's truly odd since i had both root cert & 931768 in prev run & this error didn't come up ... oh btw, i forgot to mention in my prev post that as a result too, no IE7 was installed ...

Found the prob. There are two, actually.

1) HFSLIP doesn't slipstream IE7 hotfixes with the new naming standard (they are ignored)

2) HFSLIP takes the newest ADVPACK.DLL. The one in the IE7 cumulative updates is newer than the one in the Roots Update, but since the latest cumulative is ignored you end up with version 6 from the Roots Update.

Will fix asap... :)