Silently Installing Nforce Driver

Hi,

Can somebody tell me how can I install the nForce driver package in the silent mode? I extracted the contents of the big distro file and then added the path to the separate packages like ide,gart atc in the winnt.sif file. But the problem is that there is the nForce audio utility package hich is not getting installed.

:)

The driver comes as a single executable installer which could be extracted. I think this file is made with installshield. There is another installshield setup file present in the extracted files. Also there are separate folders for various drivers such as ide,gart,smbus etc. I tried running the setup with the -R param and copy the \windows\setup.iss file to the distro folder and then installing the driver with the path to this file. But the problem is that once the installation completes the system automatically restarts. While I ran setup with -R param, I had selected the restart later option

If it's just drivers i would skip the installshield. Delete your setupapi.log, then run the setup. When youre done look at setupapi.log again and see what inf is being used. If you cannot find the inf, you can look at device manager to see the inf name. When you install a 3rd party inf, it copies itself to the windows\inf folder as oemx.inf, such as oem10.inf. Then just follow the instructions for the OemPnPDriversPath to slipstream it. I made a cd with my usb drivers and nic drivers, and it worked flawlessly.

if you provided download url for drivers i could probably do all this for you if you want.

-gosh

Hi,

I could install the driver by adding the path to the inf files from the extracted setup. But what i couldn't do was to install the nvidia audio utility package. it isn't a driver just the controls like equilizer and things like that. It works only if do a normal install, not from the drivers sec of winnt.sif

the link to driver file is

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/...ternational.exe

it is 25 mb package..

I have that one also.. I have found that if you use the installshield 'guide' and run the setup.exe with the -r switch, it reboots the machine at the end of the install without asking you if you want to, so there seems to be no way to stop it that I can work out, and so no way to make a new, valid setup.iss that doesn't reboot during the unattended.. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong tho. :)

The only other way I can see to get around this would be to mimic the install and place the files and reg keys by automated task.. but that would be even more complicated I'm sure..

this ones got me beat..

Hi,

I found a way to solve the poblem. Follow these steps.

1. Add the path to the driver files like ide,gart,usb,audi etc to the winnt.sif file

2. Inside the script file used to install ur apps in GUIRUNONCE add a command to copy all the contents of the audioutl folder

3. Now we have to add the control panel to systray .. to do that we have to add it ti the startup. If u have installed the driver manually using the setup file .. check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

export the key and delete all except the nvida key (sstray.exe /r ) and merge this reg file.

4. All done. It is working for me.

I will make a more detailed post next day. :)

Installation nVidia nForce driver 2.45

======================================

I am assuming that you are creating your unattended Windows XP CD in C:\XPCD. Extract the nVidia nForce driver package 2.45. And copy these folders from the location where extracted to c:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\drivers\nvidia

AudioDrv

AudioUtl

Display

Ethernet

GART

IDE

MemCtl

SMBus

USB

The setup.exe and other files in the root folder are not needed. Only the files in these folders are needed. Add the path to all these folders in the OemPnPDriversPath of the [unattended] section of "winnt.sif" file. The [unattended] section of my winnt.sif looks like this

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\motorola;drivers\nvidia\IDE\WinXP;drivers\nvidia\SMBus;drivers\nvidia\MemCtl;drivers\nvidia\USB;drivers\nvidia\Ethernet\WinXP;drivers\nvidia\GART;drivers\nvidia\Display;drivers\nvidia\AudioDrv;drivers\nvidia\AudioUtl"

Now copy the ".inf" and ".cab" files from all these folders (do not move the files) to the "C:\XPCD\I386\$$\inf" folder.

We have to get the Soundstorm Audio Control Panel in the system tray at startup. To do this copy and paste into Notepad and save as nforce.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"nForce Tray Options"="sstray.exe /r"

You could save the nforce.reg file in the "C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Tools" folder. Inorder to copy the files in the AudioUtl folder add the following commands to your batch file that will be run in the "GUIRUNONCE" section. The last command will merge the registry file that we created to the registry that will enable the system tray control panel.

ECHO.

ECHO Copying Nvidia Soundstorm files...

COPY "%systemdrive%\drivers\nvidia\AudioUtl\*" "%systemroot%\System32\"

ECHO Adding Nvidia Audio Panel to startup

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Tools\nforce.reg

I have tested this and it is working fine.

:)

Thanks lots for that post blubu,

I ain't tried it yet but on visual inspection it seems to put everything where it needs to be to

get the control panel to the sys tray... good work !

My question now is..

Now copy the ".inf" and ".cab" files from all these folders to the "C:\XPCD\I386\$$\inf" folder.

What does that line do ? I have been using the "OemPnPDriversPath" method to install the drivers

since build 1 of my unattended DVD, and the drivers all install fine without my

touching the inf and cab files...

I have posted this info before, here...

Are you really really sure that step is required ?

Thanks lots for that post blubu,

I ain't tried it yet but on visual inspection it seems to put everything where it needs to be to

get the control panel to the sys tray... good work !

My question now is..

Now copy the ".inf" and ".cab" files from all these folders to the "C:\XPCD\I386\$$\inf" folder.

What does that line do ? I have been using the "OemPnPDriversPath" method to install the drivers

since build 1 of my unattended DVD, and the drivers all install fine without my

touching the inf and cab files...

I have posted this info before, here...

Are you really really sure that step is required ?

I don't think this has anything to do w/ the svcpack.inf install method. The point here is that a normal install would copy those files to those folders....since you aren't running the install, you need to do it manually.

Right?

Now copy the ".inf" and ".cab" files from all these folders (do not move the files) to the "C:\XPCD\I386\$$\inf" folder.

Do you mean ".CAT" files?

And do you mean "C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\inf" folder?

Sorry, just guessing...not really sure here.

Yeah, I guess .cat is right, but I don't see the point in this step either. Until someone fully explains it, I'm going to test without it. I guess it will put those infs and .cats in the Windows\inf folder for some reason. In the Windows\inf folder I don't see any .cat files??

As for the adding sstray.exe /r to the registry by an extra .reg file seems unnecessary to me. The file nvautils.inf (in AudioUtl) does this anyway..

Please, someone tell me why.. :)

My question now is..

Well I got this step from the "thetechguide" forum. I am not sure whether it is essential or not. As far as the spelling mistakes are concerned I am sorry.

Read the line as:

Now copy the ".inf" and ".cat" files from all these folders to the "C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\inf" folder.

"RayOK : As for the adding sstray.exe /r to the registry by an extra .reg file seems unnecessary to me. The file nvautils.inf (in AudioUtl) does this anyway..

Please, someone tell me why"

Can you make a post as to how did you install it using the nvautils.inf?

Sorry, I actually haven't tested it, but shouldn't putting the folder to nvautils.inf in [OemDriversPath] work? It is a .inf file after all?

Maybe if doesn't use nvautils.inf to install the nForce Control Panel, maybe you could launch it manually with the command: "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 nvautils.inf" ??

Just thoughts, will be able to test once I figure out VirtualPC, or get my SATA HD next week..