Screen Display Refuses To Change Size

Atmosphere XG

So, I have this really old laptop that was given to me last year. The screen is busted but, everything else works. I got an old IBM 12 - 13 inch Monitor and, I was planning on using this computer for a design program that I use time to time.

The Laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook, 233 Mhz Pentium II, 32 Megs of Ram. There is no hope for this thing in terms of being upgradable so, I'm sticking with Windows 98 FE.

I don't remember what I did but, the screen refuses to leave the 640X480 setting, despite it was originally 800X600.

I've upgraded Windows FE to Windows 98 SE, in addition to using the unofficial service pack I believe was 2.1 (I downloaded it some time ago and burned it on a CD).

Please don't suggest the right click -> properties method for, I've must've had the "Windows Is Restarting" 5 times and still defaults back to 640x480.

Oh! I can't do a fresh install until I extract this old program from it's harddrive that is no longer in production. And, this Laptop is pre-dating CDR days.

So, I need a way (Registry possibly) to default it back to 800 x 600 for the pixels are just a mess.

Thanks.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

Please don't suggest the right click -> properties method for, I've must've had the "Windows Is Restarting" 5 times and still defaults back to 640x480.

Try checking the option that makes it not restart but apply it immediately.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup

The monitor I'm using as reference (A 17 inch) is always on 800 x 600 settings.

It's been like that for 10 years. :sneaky:

When I have the settings configured to not restart upon making changes, it still wants to restart. :blink:

And here's the kicker. I cannot install my cable network (Using a USB connection) because it needs a minimum of 256 Colors and, the laptop is stuck on 16 colors. This prevents my idea of transfering my rare program to a free storage site :angry:

So, I need to get the screen back to 800 x 600 with a 256 minimum setting before I can do anything.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

And here's the kicker. I cannot install my cable network (Using a USB connection) because it needs a minimum of 256 Colors and, the laptop is stuck on 16 colors.

This requirement is most likely set by your installer. Can you install the modem driver by unpacking it and selecting its INF via control panel?

If you are referring to going into Device Manager and, reinstalling the Driver I have. However, I require having the Windows 98 FE CD to insert. Well, I don’t own a Windows 98 FE CD. I only own Windows 98 SE, and the Upgrade to enable Windows 98 FE to transfer into Windows 98 SE.

So, I’m stuck.

As for the 256 issue, upon popping in the Cable install CD, it states in needs 256 pixels minimum in order to continue.

So, I’m back at stage one.

When I have the settings configured to not restart upon making changes, it still wants to restart. :blink:
All to often that's the same story here, but it's real nice when that dongle actually does do what it says!!

I was in a similar pickle a long time ago when I noticed that the refresh rate for my monitor had been changed from where I knew it was to start with. I've no idea how it got changed but my setup very much liked Adapter Default setting instead of the Optimum choice it selected for itself in the Adapter tab of the Advanced section of the Settings tab of Display Properties. Once I set it back to Adapter Default, I was then allowed to alter my resolution settings once again. I'm running a 'barely there' 233 Mhz system myself, so hang tough.

Any joy?

Windows will later require the CD every time you touch the network settings, just press Cancel. But the first time you really need the CD. Doesn't SE CD work? See your PM box.

I got an old IBM 12 - 13 inch Monitor

Why do you expect this to display higher resolutions than 640*480?

@ ShadeTreeLee

You can try HzTool, an application for Windows 98, which allows to save refresh rates for every resolution, so you can have higher "Optimal" frequency for say 800*600 and lower "adapter default" for 1024*768. You can adjust refresh rates without switching to the respective (perhaps unsupported) resolutions at any time. This application will not work under WinNT.

Edited by j7n

I think you should be able to get 1024 on that PC not just 800. But you need to figure out what is causing the problem. Find out the make/version of your video chipset and go to the company's website (or IBM support), and look for latest drivers for that specific model.

If all fails, I remember someone made a generic video driver (might have been for ATI) allowing 1024/256 colors even in safe mode = for sure in normal mode. But it only supports 60Hz monitors. I think I've seen it posted on this forum , try looking for that.

I got an old IBM 12 - 13 inch Monitor and, I was planning on using this computer for a design program that I use time to time.

I don't remember what I did but, the screen refuses to leave the 640X480 setting, despite it was originally 800X600.

Was it 800x600 with your 266MHz laptop or with an other computer ?

+Design on 13 inch :blink:

The monitor I'm using as reference (A 17 inch) is always on 800 x 600 settings.

It's been like that for 10 years.

What has this 17" reference screen to do with the problem ? What screen are you actually having problem with ?
I think you should be able to get 1024 on that PC not just 800.

You'd need a 15inch screen on the laptop for that.

Problem solved.

I just installed (Upgraded to) Windows 2000 on it :wacko:

After searching Google last night, I found out Windows 2000 can indeed run on 32 MB of Ram providing you turn off a few things.

It's slow to boot up but, other than that, it works perfectly. Suprisingly, I still have

10 MB of RAM available on idle. So I increased the swap file to 900 MB and that's that. I'm only going to use one program and, it can run on 8 MB of RAM, so I'm in the clear. The program is based on calculations btw.

As for the IBM 12 - 13 inch Monitor, it can run on 800 x 600 (Even 1024 x768 & 1280 x 1024) I was using it on another computer configured to 800 x 600 settings for years up until last month, when I got my hands on a 15 inch replacement. It was easier for me to just work on the laptop with the 17 inch monitor (Seeing that it is used on my main internet PC) than pulling down the IBM.

I've swapped these two many of times, and never had to re-adjust the settings based on the different brands.

Now I can install my Cable CD pull out the vintage program I was trying not to erase,

wipe the drive clean, and give Windows 2000 a fresh install. :thumbup

Edited by Atmosphere XG

"...still defaults back to 640x480..."

Yes I have that kind of problem, too. My preference is 800x600 but my machine has a helluva time finding the display adapter (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with GP8X/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! v.1.4.0) and monitor (AOC) and still defaults back to 640x480 from time to time and when it goes into Safe Mode.

(My system and motherboard are AMD Athlon XP 1733 MHz and K7VT2 2.00)

What's going on .....? :wacko:

Edited by plonkeroo