SP5 Files

ViX

Hello! :hello:

Is anyone familiar with using Fred Vorck's sp5 files? In an attempt in making a streamlined edition of my W2K I'm using them but I get a fatal error on setup.

Here's a some pics

post-137175-1177958684_thumb.jpg

post-137175-1177958696_thumb.jpg

I get this error whether I choose to keep or delete the .cat files.

I know its not a HFSLIP specific issue because I have made a Win2K with sp4, sp4 rollup, all recent Hotfixes, WMP9 + updates, IE6.1 with all updates, DX9c, Dot net 1.1, 2.0 all patched, and a few utilities like 7-zip, RegCleanr, SystemInternals, etc...It went like butter, mostly.

Only difference in the directory structure, is that I have take out the IE6 cabs and hot fixes, and put in the sp5 files into the FDVFILES directory. I am using the 2000SP4EXT for the cleanup, so would that something I should not be using with this sp5 files?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

--Thank You-- :)

Edited by ViX

Hello :hello:

As far as using Tomcat76's dynamic hotfix list I don't think so, I'm not sure what that is exactally. But if you mean a web page that allows you to put in checkmarks next to applications and hotfixes that you want installed, no I actually just seen that site today looking around. I only browsed for a second to see what it was and it wasn't what I was looking for atm. I do think it is a cool idea though, and thought to myself " wish I woulda found this before"! I used a link from Vorck's page, there are two of them....

Link to Tomcat76's English hotfix list

Link to the_guy's English hotfix list

but Tomcat76's English Hotfix list is a broken link (404 error).

So I chose the_guy's and downloaded all my updates from the microshaft site and copied all the hotfixes to the \HFSLIP\HF directory.

Here's my HFSLIP.LOG HFSLIP.7z

Thanx again for the help :)

Edited by ViX

Here's a link to TC76's list: http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_win2k.html

You can get there from hfslip.org too. Go through the list and be sure that your hotfixes agree with the list. For FDV's list, you'll need to grab the IE5 updates as there are some other updated OS files. On a sidenote, did all those add-ons work OK when not using FDVs fileset?

If you like science projects, copy FDVFILES\setupapi.dl_ and overwrite what is in the sourcess folder. Create an ISO on the sourcess and test it on a VM. You can create an ISO by typing in MAKEISO instead of typing I have read the instructions when running HFSLIP. ;)

Well I compared the lists of HF's. I found 6 that I didn't have..

The three IE5 updates, KB926121 , KB917275 (didn't bother with this one because its for DRM), and KB931836 (or this one because it is for 2k3 and its just a time zone issue).

I also found 2 that I had that weren't on the list..

KB899591-Remote Desktop vulnerability and KB923689-WM Format vulnerability.

So I added the 4 hotfixes to the HF directory, to see if the IE5 updates made a difference, no dice, I still got the Fatal Error.

Next I tried the second part of your suggestion, however both the setupapi.dl_ were the same size, dunno if THAT makes a difference or not, but I still got the same Fatal Error.

Thanks for the info on MAKEISO that saves me a bit of time :)

The non-FDV fileset disk I had made was just Win2K with the SP4 & SP4 roll-up, o/s hotfix's, Dotnet's 1& 2 & hotfix's, adobe reader 8, MP9 & hotfix's, DX9c, IE6SP1 & hotfix's, JRE-6u1, TweakUi, Icesword, RegCleanr, ASPI 4.70, some cool OpenGL Screensavers, LSP Fix, MSConfig, some of Steve Gibsons Utilities, ResHacker, and some System Internals Utilities. Mostly just some basic stuff. I made it this way so if I switch over rig's I am not installing incorrect drivers if I switch video cards or motherboards, obsolete software (Ex. a\v or spyware progs, etc..). I still have an unattended install, and can add my software as needed, or make an unattended crafted more specifically for that rig. Which is what I'm doing for this one now, hopefully, if I can get past the Fatal Error. :angry:

So I took a step back to see if it was something else. I removed the entries in the FDVFILES directory, removed the IE5 hotfixes, and re-added the IE6 cabs. Here's a full list.. HFSLIP.7z

Everything on that list went in like butter, no Fatal Error. So far everything works, but I haven't tested all of it yet. Any specific software to test thats in the list, that you have heard might not work?

Thanks again for the help & info :hello:

Incidentally, a quick response about migrating over to Linux from the drivers post, between Wine, Cedega, and Cross Over by Code Weavers, very soon there won't be anything that runs on Windows that won't on Linux. ;)

EDIT: Lolz I'm a dufus. Been sitting here looking through the hfslip.cmd wondering how you found out about the MAKEISO command, and just put 2 and 2 together!

( tommyp + TommyP'spost-137175-1178047249_thumb.jpg) :blushing:

Edited by ViX

Heh heh That TommyP does seem to know an awful lot about HFSLIP, doesn't he? Hmmmm! <LOL>

Okay now, strictly business :sneaky:

Are you using English Windows 2000 workstation?

Try this: remove SETUPP.INI from FDVFILES and see if that works. Then we'll go from there.

There are lots of tricks to try.

-------------------

EDIT

You might have a corrupt hotfix file in the IE5 files. For kicks, you -CAN- use my fileset and IE6, it does work, I just don't recommend it, because IE6 has more exploits, and Explorer has odd ideosyncrasies (just one example: when you search for a file, click on a result, and go to File, and then Open Containing Folder, nothing happens.) Give my fileset with IE6 a try as well as removing SETUPP.INI and see what happens too.

Edited by fdv

I just tried a VM run of hfslip with FDV's fileset and the hotfixes. All works fine on this side. Btw, when prompted, I select Y to filter FDVs setup INFs.

Hello :hello:

Sounds good I'll give that a go. Incidentally pics take above in the first post were without the IE5 updates, I tried an install with the IE5's and got the same error, and yep English Windows 2000 Pro. My original disk is a pre- any SP release versions. From now on I'll just answer Y to both questions. Thanks for the help and I'll post back with some results.

EDIT: Success! By removing the SETUPP.INI it went through the whole installation! Which brings up some questions, since the o/s didn't use that setupp.ini, did it use another setup.ini or just not one at all? What is [PID], just some sort of program identification (seems obvious)? I mean more like what do the digits 51873270 refer to?

Now I did also remove the winnt.sif from the FDVFILES and left my version in the FIX directory, all thought I doubt that had any effect on whether it was going to install or not. I also slimmed it down on the DX files using only the 2 mentioned in the guide, and left out all my cabb'd applications. Here's the text from the successful install (on VM Ware). HFSLIP.7z

Next I'll try an install with the programs I have all ready and my drivers, I think it should do fine. As far as any IE6, I only ever used IE to use the WU, now that I know where to get the files released the second Tuesday? of the month, I know now I don't need it. However I did like the 'Web' graphic in the upper left corner, is there any way I can get that back w/out IE? (I have a really cool pic of Angelica Bridges in a painted on Tigress outfit, I'd hate to see that go to waste).

Thanx AGAIN for the help! :D

Edited by ViX