Up-to-date Windows 2000 universal install media creation guide

Kurt_Aust

Hi Kurt,

Firstly, thanks ;) This has proved really useful to me over the last couple of months, it's nice to have a clear reference to work off.

I have a quick query, however: if I am removing WMP9 entirely and integrating media support a different way (in my case by using a Klite addon currently, but I'm probably going back to using individual addons again shortly), which of the hotfixes can I omit? And more specifically, does this affect the batch files at all insofar as giving an opportunity to simplify them, or perhaps cut out one of the restarts? Just curious.

Ta!

I haven't tested it but in that case your Run1_W2ksp5.bat file would be:

rem copy optional files, these make running as a limited user feasible and use no system resources

Copy AddOns\SubinACL.* %SystemRoot%

Copy AddOns\ChOwn*.bat %SystemRoot%

Copy AddOns\Grant_File_Access.txt "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\"

rem support Adobe Flash plugin for Firefox, SeaMonkey & Opera

AddOns\install_flash_player.exe /S

rem first pass of updates (KB917344 is for older .21 version of sp5)

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB917344-56-x86-enu.Exe /Q

RunOnce\dotNet11sp1.exe

RunOnce\NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe /Q

RunOnce\dotNet2.exe

RunOnce\NDP20-KB928365-X86.exe /Q

DirectX_9c\DXsetup.exe /Silent

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU.exe /Q

rem support Bashrat the Sneaky's Driver Packs

%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe

rem silent installers go here

rem Associate File Types, deRem to open Microsoft Office files with Open Office

rem Call AddOns\AFT_OpenOffice.bat

rem support JohnDoe74's Daemon Tools addon (both current versions)

%SystemRoot%\daemon\hidec.exe /w %SystemRoot%\daemon\dt410_spdt150_x86.bat

%SystemRoot%\daemon\hidec.exe /w %SystemRoot%\daemon\dt4091_147_x86.bat

rem all GUI run once commands go here

rem deRem to support JohnDoe74's Windows Defender addon (RunOnce version only)

rem Copy %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\gdiplus.dll %SystemRoot%\System32

%SystemRoot%\windefender\hidec.exe /w %SystemRoot%\windefender\windefender.cmd

RmDir /S /Q %SystemRoot%\windefender

rem definition updates for Spybot, Defender & Avast

AddOns\spybotsd_includes.exe /S

AddOns\mpas-fe.exe /Q

AddOns\vpsupd.exe /Silent

rem this patch will force reboot

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB923191-x86-ENU.exe /Q

That cuts out one of the reboots, the only hotfixes that are dropped are:

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB923689-x86-ENU.EXE

RunOnce\WindowsMedia9-KB936782-x86-ENU.exe

and of course WMP9 itself (this will save you 17.1MB on your install media).

Note that I can't guarantee that skipping a reboot will be problem free, especially if you include silent installers. I can tell you that the DriverPack finisher won't install the ATI Catalyst control centre under this setup.

Probably the best thing to do is edit Run2_W2Ksp5.bat and append /ForceRestart to the end of RunOnce\NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe /Q. That way you won't have the annoying long wait when you first log-on.

rem second pass of updates

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU.exe /Q

RunOnce\NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe /Q /ForceRestart

• 2 weeks later...

I envy you, I'm always after more free time.

I can't say whether or not it will work with non-English versions as I only have an English version to test it on.

Sorry about the long delay, I thought I'd replied but was having trouble displaying topics (bad cookie).

• 1 month later...
Question:

Is this whole thing for english version of Windows 2000 only?

HFSLIP is compatible with foreign language versions.

BTW, for hotfixes, the_guy keeps a nice updated list in that subforum and takes care to note when one fix replaces another.

December Hotfix Updates:

Deletions

Hotfix\770-IE6.0sp1-KB939653-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe

RunOnce\dotNet11sp1.exe

RunOnce\dotNet2.exe

RunOnce\NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

RunOnce\NDP20-KB928365-X86.exe

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU.exe

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB923689-x86-ENU.EXE

Additions

Hotfix\370-Windows2000-KB937894-x86-ENU.EXE [1,376,624]

Hotfix\380-IE6.0sp1-KB942615-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe [4,209,224]

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB941568-DX9-x86-ENU.exe [995,904]

RunOnce\Windows2000-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE [2,432,560]

RunOnce\.Net framework 2.0 service pack 1

MD5: C61111D7D62306B997CE7DD04898B1CA

SHA1: EEF5A36924CDF0C02598CCF96AA4F60887A49840

From RyanVM's forums, download Makave2345's .Net 1.1 switchless installer and save it to \RunOnce.

Also reordered the Hotfix numbering sequence, be sure to run UpdatePrep.bat if you've used this guide before to bring the numbering back into line.

Changed the support method for installing Open Office to one that gives the user more control, but requires the installation of 7-Zip (which I strongly recommend, useful and uses no system resources).

Well, I don't have access to an upgrade version of Win2000 Pro so this morning I knocked on my neighbour's door and borrowed their copies of Win98se OEM and WinXP Pro upgrade.

I found that if you copy the contents of the Win98se CD into the nLite working directory and then burn the install media it works without swapping disks. You still have to press enter when it asks you to insert the older version of Windows but you don't have to change disks and it proceeds to partitioning setup.

You will need to use a DVD as the install media if you wish to do this and personally I doubt it's really worth the effort as the CD swap happens before the unattended section of the install anyway.

You must not copy "autorun.inf" and "setup.exe" and need not copy the "cdsample" directory, there might be other directories that you don't need to copy but as I could't see it getting down to CD size (at least not if you intend including AddOns / Drivers) I didn't experiment further.

I also set the volume name of the nLited install media to "Win98 SE" but didn't test if this was really necessary.

Thanks, Kurt. I think you're right about it not being worth it, especially since it's only required for a new or raw drive. I'm having a lot of fun playing with this app though, and I may do a bit of experimenting with it and see how small I can make the 98 files.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kurt, I am a little confused on where to put the "Download the current Hotfix 7zip archive from eSnips, extracting into the same directory that you chose to extract the Config archive into". I extracted the Config archive into C:/Windows2000ubcd. When you open up C:/Windows2000ubcd I see a folder that says Config2000sp5_10jan08. Do I put the files here? If you doubleclick on Config2000sp5_10jan08 it opens up the folder Win2000sp5+ and when you clic on that it opens up to all the files in Config2000sp5_date.zip i.e. addons, directx_9c, hotfix, misc., runonce etc. This is where I think the current Hotfix 7zip archive should be extracted to, am I wrong?

moving along in your guide I see "7. Copy all the files and folders that you have downloaded, except those at \Hotfix and \Misc to your nLite working directory, maintaining the directory structure" Is this the same folder that I put the current Hotfix 7zip archive into or the Nlite folder in program files or does Nlite create a folder when you go thru step 6 "6. Make any tweaks you want, then run the process." I haven't run the process yet, I entered all the updates and files and made all my mods but I am unsure where some of this stuff goes. Sorry, I am a little slow sometimes, just a rookie geek wannabe stumbling around in the dark. I would be grateful for any help you could provide. Thanks

Your file structure should look like this after extracting the config archive (where Drive:\Path is where you extracted it):

Drive:\Path

. . . . . . . . \Win2000_sp5+

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \AddOns\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \DirectX_9c\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Hotfix\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Misc\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \RunOnce\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \InstallWin2000sp5.txt

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Run1_W2Ksp5.bat

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Run2_W2Ksp5.bat

If you also extract the hotfix archive to Drive:\Path then the files should end up in the appropriate folders (Hotfix, RunOnce & AddOns).

At step 1 in the procedure nLite will prompt you to locate or create an empty folder as your working directory, this is where the files are copied to, you should end up with something like this (many files & directories left out):

Drive:\nLite_working_directory

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \$OEM$\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \AddOns\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \DirectX_9c\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \I386\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \RunOnce\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Autorun.inf

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \InstallWin2000sp5.txt

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Run1_W2Ksp5.bat

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Run2_W2Ksp5.bat

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \Setup.exe

Edited by Kurt_Aust