Shutdown issues

Pook

Hi, I reinstalled Windows XP Home and have problems to shut down or restart. It freezes. It says: "Saving your settings" and then "Windows is shutting down" and that's all. Nothing changes, no shutting down, nothing. How to fix?

have you updated it fully? and are all the drivers installed?

thanks

It is the original Microsoft XP Home SP1 bootable CD. Please don't persuade me that upgrading to SP2 solves all the problems.

I just want to fix shutting down. Can it be because of a firewall?

have you updated it fully? and are all the drivers installed?

thanks

It is the original Microsoft XP Home SP1 bootable CD. Please don't persuade me that upgrading to SP2 solves all the problems.

I just want to fix shutting down. Can it be because of a firewall?

Since I believe SP1 is no longer supported, I would install SP2 to see if it helps.

Also Microsoft does have a application called uphclean.exe that may help with

your issue.

Since I believe SP1 is no longer supported, I would install SP2 to see if it helps.

Also Microsoft does have a application called uphclean.exe that may help with

your issue.

OK, guys, I believe that people at this forum are knowledgeable, if you don't know the answer, please say nothing. I have not a slightest desire to experiment with my computer, I have a lot of other things to do.

OK, guys, I believe that people at this forum are knowledgeable, if you don't know the answer, please say nothing. I have not a slightest desire to experiment with my computer, I have a lot of other things to do.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if installing SP2 resolves that. There is no experimentation involved, it's called installing it and that's it.

Go into your Event Viewer:

Start > Run > eventvwr

...and look up any errors (Red X's) under Application and System and take any relevant Event ID numbers to EventID.Net and match up the descriptions for the the error with the one you are receiving. Feel free to post them here as well incase anyone recognises the descriptions and can assist.

pook!!! SP2 will solve it, that is it end of! now go do it! :P

I don't want SP2 because if something goes wrong, I won't be able to use installation CD as a rescue CD because it will become incompatible with SP2. And what you can advise in this situation, BartPE, or right to go and buy Vista together with a compatible computer in order to fix this shutting down problem?

pook!!! SP2 will solve it, that is it end of! now go do it! :P

I don't want SP2 because if something goes wrong, I won't be able to use installation CD as a rescue CD because it will become incompatible with SP2. And what you can advise in this situation, BartPE, or right to go and buy Vista together with a compatible computer in order to fix this shutting down problem?

I guess reading is a lost art to you, because if you took the time to read you would have seen

it can unistalled if does

not help you

Update your installation cd and burn a new one with sp2 integrated on it then you will have a cd with repair ability and sp2.

second, what HAL was installed on your machine when you did the install?

What are the specs of your machine?

Sounds like ACPI is not fully installed or not fully compatible. Seems to me there was a setting in the power control panel, or was it a registry setting to force the machine to turn off.

Go into your Event Viewer:

Start > Run > eventvwr

...and look up any errors (Red X's) under Application and System and take any relevant Event ID numbers to EventID.Net and match up the descriptions for the the error with the one you are receiving. Feel free to post them here as well incase anyone recognises the descriptions and can assist.

OK, I did it. In the system section there were listed some errors connected to avast, W32Time and netevent (I don't know what the last is). And something like

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
AmdK7
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip

How serious is it?

Update your installation cd and burn a new one with sp2 integrated on it then you will have a cd with repair ability and sp2.

And how can I do that? With nLight? When a half of drivers are broken?

second, what HAL was installed on your machine when you did the install? What are the specs of your machine?

Sounds like ACPI is not fully installed or not fully compatible. Seems to me there was a setting in the power control panel, or was it a registry setting to force the machine to turn off.

Sorry, this I don't fully understand because I am a foreigner and have problems with the language. But I can say that I installed these Windows on this computer several times already and everything went well. Shutting down freezes not always. Sometimes it's OK but seldom.

Sounds like your system is one step away from being hosed.

Copy your XPCD to your HDD and download SP2, then use nLite to integrate SP2 and create a bootable ISO.

Boot to this new CD and repair your OS.

repair your OS
If you are doing a repair reinstall of XP on the same hardware, you can back up the activation status and then restore it after you run the repair install of the OS. To save the activation status, back up the wpa.dbl file from the %systemroot%\system32 folder to a floppy disk.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

ps. from the CMD type "shutdown /?" for shutdown options: "shutdown -f -r -t 00" will force an immediate restart, for example

Edited by nimd4

Sounds like your system is one step away from being hosed.

Copy your XPCD to your HDD and download SP2, then use nLite to integrate SP2 and create a bootable ISO.

Boot to this new CD and repair your OS.

Enough of SP2 and nLight. It's getting annoying already.

I won't neither install SP2 nor to to use nLight, which breaks the drivers.

There's nothing better than the original CD, and if SP2 is incompatible with it,

I won't install SP2, or will you tell me to through away my computer and buy a different one with Vista installed,

since Microsoft is going to stop selling Windows XP in 2008, in order to fix a simple shutting down problem?

What advises will you give then?

I found the reason. It is Komodo firewall.

When I turn it off before shutting down / rebooting, I don't experience any problems.

How to enable Komodo to let me shut down my Windows?

I'd like to know now.

Edited by Pook