ftp questions on 2003 server

I run into this every now and then on my own server installs... I can login to ftp site using command prompt with appropriate username and pw, however I can't login using a browser. I have reset all ie options to default. What happens is a authentification dialog box comes up and I put in my user name and PW. It says website found and the "can't display this page"

While I'm asking, what is the difference between active and passive ftp?

Further more....

How does one properly setup ftp, assuming that is it installed? I go to the IIS manager, make sure service is started, accept the default directory C:\inetpub\ftproot. set permissions to read and write. I have mixed luck, but can always make the cmd prompt method to achieve what I want.

Mine minor explanation, what I have understandood ...

There is some problems with FTP and Firewall ...

An active connection need the client to open a port (and if he behind a routeur, he must redirect the port and co ....) so active connection is not possible nowadays.

A passive connection need just the server to open ports (and nat'd if behind router) but instead of one port (21) it needs to open the data channel port too. Most FTP servers allow to set a range ftp port for the data like 5000-5500 for example (this range has to be nat'd too). So if the client is in passive mode, the connection will be okay (nowadays ftp clients are in passive mode by default, for other there is an option even in IE).

Certain routers has "tracking ftp connections" (linux module conntrack_ftp) allow to just open the port 21 and firewalling "will be automatic" ...

Sorry for my language and draft style ^^

A more in depth explanation of passive vs active can be found here.

The symptoms you describe sound like a firewall issue, either on your server or on your client machine. Somewhere somehow ports are being blocked because you can establish a connection but it doesn't fully work, which means that port 21 is okay, but the data ports are having an issue.

I tried from a different PC and got this error....

http://www.akronpc.net/error.jpg

however I logged on as administrator with the correct password, I can remote desktop into it. I can post a screenie of the permissions on the ftp directory if anyone needs. This, BTW is longhorn server build 6001, but I have the same issues with 2003 server family, and have about half of my installs work. My router has the server in the dmz and it's the same router as I haved several working 2003 installs with over time. The firewall on the server is off for the time being. I don't think it's a firewall issue, because I can log in from a command prompt and upload and download files from just about anywhere.

Again, about half of my installs work and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems like to me, I used this dialog box and somehow got the administrator and pw in and the unchecked use anonymous connections.

http://akronpc.net/account.jpg

<edit> I can access, upload and download files with Filezilla, just not with a browser.

Edited by aspenjim