Batch Patcher 2.11

I wrote a program that I've been using on Windows ME and XP to apply a number of patches at once to the system.

The basic idea of how it works: There's an interactive mode and non-interactive mode. Select the patches (or provide the directory on the command line) and then it runs the patches then offers to reboot. More details are in the text file with the program.

Comments or questions welcome in this thread.

batpatcher211.zip

Edited by Glenn9999

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glenn9999

Found this program of your's and wanted to say thanks!! I just did a fresh install of xp on a buddies computer and giving this a try as I type.

Used c't Offline Update 4.0 to get the updates post SP2 and pointed your program to the folder and just waiting to see what happens. Once your program is done I'll double check it against the Belarc Advisor and compare the before and after results.

I'll post back later to give ya a heads up.

Thanks again for your time and effort, it's truly appreciated.

socom18e out..........

Glenn9999,

Update

Have to say that the program works very fast :) After running your program I doulbe checked again against the Belarc Advisor and it showed all but 5 hotfixes installed. Also noticed that when the program was running that the hotfix it was installing if it completed It showed "done" at the end of it and moved on to the next hotfix. My question for you is that some of the applied hotfixes showed "error 1603" when it was done.

Now I did a brain fart, I had the system restart when it was done, so the "error 1603" could have been "1403". Sorry about that, I should have written it down to be more accurate. My attention to detail and old age is getting to me.... :whistle:

Thanks again,

Socom18e out.............

Edited by socom18e

The list of what was done in each run is in the windows directory as batpatcher.log.

Error 1603 simply means that the patch wasn't relevant to what was at hand. For example, applying an IE6 patch on a system with IE7 or applying an IE7 patch to a system with IE6 on it would produce the error.

It shouldn't be a problem, unless Windows Update is calling for the patch afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Glenn9999,

Just wanted to give you a update here.

Saturday 2 Mar 08 I had to perform a os reinstall on my Aunts computer. I used Nlite to slipstream the os and sp2 with some other programs, and when that was complete I used your program to finish the rest of the post sp2 updates and all worked well. In the end I used Belarc Advisor to verify what was left and only a small amount of critical updates were needed.

You did a awesome job IMHO and thank you for taking the time to do this, it ROCKS!!!! It must be such an honor to have the skills to develop software like this.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this program!!!!

Socom18e out...............

You did a awesome job IMHO and thank you for taking the time to do this, it ROCKS!!!! It must be such an honor to have the skills to develop software like this.

Thanks for the compliments and glad the program worked out for you. :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Hi

thanks for your tools.

It works fine except for one problem. Each time I use it I have an error on the begining and the end of the process about qchain.exe.

could you tell where i need to put this exe file because i have try in th batpatcher folder and hotfixes folder but still have the error

thanks

It works fine except for one problem. Each time I use it I have an error on the begining and the end of the process about qchain.exe.

It goes in the same folder as batpatcher.exe. It might help to know what kind of error it is, specifically (the message, whatever).

It goes in the same folder as batpatcher.exe. It might help to know what kind of error it is, specifically (the message, whatever).

Thanks for your answer Glenn and thanks for your tools.

I tried to install hotfixes on windows XP pro with batpatcher.

The error message is :

Qchain is required for this application to run.

download it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815062

I download it from the link and I have tried to copy Qchain.exe in the same folder of batpatcher but I still have the same issue.

problem of qchain version ?

Edited by farren

I download it from the link and I have tried to copy Qchain.exe in the same folder of batpatcher but I still have the same issue.

problem of qchain version ?

The file you would get from that link is a self-extracting archive which works on Windows 2K or above. However, 7-Zip will extract it on any platform it works on (yes the file works on Windows 9X). Inside the file you should find QCHAIN.EXE and EULA.TXT. Copy the QCHAIN.EXE file to the same folder as BATPATCHER.EXE and then it should work.

And yes I know it'd be a lot easier to just distribute the file with the app, but from all appearances it looks like it would be against EULA and would run into the same problems as those are who are distributing the service packs/patches outside of Microsoft's servers (like Autopatcher did).

Edited by Glenn9999

The file you would get from that link is a self-extracting archive which works on Windows 2K or above. However, 7-Zip will extract it on any platform it works on (yes the file works on Windows 9X). Inside the file you should find QCHAIN.EXE and EULA.TXT. Copy the QCHAIN.EXE file to the same folder as BATPATCHER.EXE and then it should work.

And yes I know it'd be a lot easier to just distribute the file with the app, but from all appearances it looks like it would be against EULA and would run into the same problems as those are who are distributing the service packs/patches outside of Microsoft's servers (like Autopatcher did).

I is exactly I have tried but I still have the same issue. Perhaps it is due to the fact I start it from my unattended DVD at the first connection of administrator account. :(

EDIT : I have tested to started directly from the command line and not from my script and all is ok.

I used a VB script to start it (RunOnceEx) from registry.

here my script:

Dim oShell, oFSO, oSysEnv, oStrm2

Set oShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set oSysEnv = oShell.Environment("PROCESS")

'Script to find cd-rom letter
Dim FileName
Dim File
Dim Folder
Dim FileSystemObject
Dim Drives
Dim DiskDrive, DriveLetter, DriveType

Set FileSystemObject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 'Create a filesystem object
Set Drives = FileSystemObject.Drives 'Create a drives collection
Filename = "setupxp.htm"

For Each DiskDrive in Drives

DriveLetter = DiskDrive.DriveLetter
DriveType = DiskDrive.DriveType

IF DiskDrive.isready and DriveType = "4" Then
set Folder=FileSystemObject.GetFolder(DriveLetter & ":\")
For Each File In Folder.Files
If LCase(File.Name) = FileName Then
CDLetter = DriveLetter
End If
Next 'File
end if
Next
Set Drives = nothing
Set FileSystemObject = nothing
' end script to find cd letter

'Windows XP Hotfixes
Wscript.echo "Installing Windows XP SP2 Hotfixes..."
oShell.Run CDLetter & ":\w2kapps\batpatcher\batpatcher.exe " & CDLetter & ":\w2kapps\hotfixes /norestart",0,true

Do you have an idea why I have the error with my script and not if i try "G:\w2kapps\batpatcher\batpatcher.exe G:\w2kapps\hotfixes /norestart" from the run command

Edited by farren

I is exactly I have tried but I still have the same issue. Perhaps it is due to the fact I start it from my unattended DVD at the first connection of administrator account. :(

Do you have an idea why I have the error with my script and not if i try "G:\w2kapps\batpatcher\batpatcher.exe G:\w2kapps\hotfixes /norestart" from the run command

I think I have an idea and I have it in this file (BatchPatcher 1.02b1 - basically 1.01 plus this change). Please let me know if it helps.

(I have a newer version with a few features ready to go soon, but need to figure out a problem with SP3. Hopefully this one can be solved along with it for a full 1.02 release.)

Edited by Glenn9999

I think I have an idea and I have it in this file (BatchPatcher 1.02b1 - basically 1.01 plus this change). Please let me know if it helps.

(I have a newer version with a few features ready to go soon, but need to figure out a problem with SP3. Hopefully this one can be solved along with it for a full 1.02 release.)

Thanks, I will try with this new version and keep you inform..

I have temporary resolved the problem, I copy batpatcher and qchain on the C drive during the install process, and add a bat file to execute it in the startup group. like this that works.