Order of installs--svcpack

straytoasters

HFslip puts a hfslip.cms in the svcpack folder of the soursess folder that seems to tell the install what to do at T-13, how does HFslip decide this order and can I just edit the hfslip.cmd and everything will be okay. Example...Firefox install then Symantec...I want Symantec to install first...can I just change their order in the hfslip.cmd?

Straytoasters

hi straytoasters! why not rename the files even before you integrate them at T-13? ;) below are some relevant info that should help clarify your concern:

HFSLIP just copies the files from HFSVCPACK into SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK and echoes the executable names into SVCPACK.INF alphabetically. So if the order is important change the name(s) and you're good to go. Looking at your other thread, you're already doing that.
I've never gotten command prompt windows during HFGUIRUNONCE. Try including cmdow in HFTOOLS if you haven't already.

The latest test release changes the order in which EXEs and MSIs in HFSVCPACK_SW are installed. Maybe that will help.

Download hfslip-1.3.0rc3

Changes:

- files in HFGUIRUNONCE are processed alphabetically, regardless of the extension

does this give us the freedom to rename files to set the order of installation? thanks!
Kiki--

Yes; that's the reason behind it.

That is what I tried before posting to begin with. I changed quicktime to equicktime thinking that quicktime would then install before itunes (due to alpha), but itunes still installed first. I will give it another try. Thank you.

Straytoasters

It is supposed to process installers in HFSVCPACK alphabetically (as it is the default behavior of DIR command used in the batch file), but apparently not doing it in some cases as experienced by the OP. maybe the DIRCMD environment variable of the machine is set to other sorting methods.

Tomcat, what if you explicitly specify the sort order in the section that processes the switchless installers? You're specifying the DIR switch "/ON" on some other sections...

this would just ensure that it would behave the way we want it, that is alphabetically whether DIRCMD environment variable has been set or not:

---------------

IF EXIST "%ALTSRCDIRS%HFSVCPACK\*.EXE" (

TITLE %T1% - Processing switchless EXE files&ECHO.&ECHO Processing switchless EXE files...

FOR /F "DELIMS=" %%I IN ('DIR/B/ON "%ALTSRCDIRS%HFSVCPACK\*.EXE"') DO (

ECHO %%I&ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\HFSLIP.CMD START/WAIT %%HFSLIP%%\SVCPACK\%%I

COPY/Y "%ALTSRCDIRS%HFSVCPACK\%%I" SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK >NUL

)

---------------

just a suggestion though... :)

Edited by glentium

I removed most of the /ON switches not so long ago thinking that a system always defaults to sorting things alphabetically. Guess not.

The latest test release uses the /ON switch in some sections again. You can try that....