GoogleEarth on Windows 98!

kristobal

Thanks for the hint!!

I have successfully installed Google Earth under Win98SE.

I still have problem though. From time to time I experienced weird thing. When I search a place, Google Earth starts to navigate to that place, but then suddenly the whole picture become blur, even the streaming has reached 100%, but it were as if only maybe 1%.

Clear memory cache and clear disk cache does not help.

Is that a problem of Google Earth or Win98SE?

Anything that I can do to fix that annoyance?

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the installer file for this v4.0.2742.0? ..which as you know the filename is GoogleEarthWin.exe

I see they are offering v4.1 now but it's v4.0.2742.0 I want (which I assume was/is the 'final version' of that v4.0 series, if not I'll take whatever the final 4.0.xxxx is but I think v4.0.2742.0 is the last one of the 4.0 series) I would like to get it please - anyone have it and can share, thank you.

fwiw, I've searched the web for a few hours and downloaded about 50 of the GoogleEarthWin.exe file from all over the place and I have everything below that version number, but not it.

thank you.

btw, did anyone get this new v4.1 to work on W98?

Edited by Rick Chauvin

Thank you noguru but that's not what I was really asking for, I already had that package from sendspace back when the OP made his first post, but what I wanted and am asking for is the actual original installer file itself "GoogleEarthWin.exe" which contains v4.0.2742.0

As you know the download link direct from Google Earth to get GE has always been the same - which is hxxp://dl.google.com/earth/GE4/GoogleEarthWin.exe

..and they continually update builds on the fly throughout the years but the link always stays the same, but that version v4.0.2742.0 was available between aprox 3-13-07 and for the next month or so after that before they went up to v4.1... Did anyone happen to download v4.0.2742.0 at that time?

I want to get that original v4.0.2742 GoogleEarthWin.exe installer if anyone has it please, thank you.

Yes absolutely it is the right version, and thanks very much noguru!

I had searched everywhere for that blessed versions installer, even OldVersion.com, and hundreds of ftps all over the world ..but I could find no one with that particular version. It's wonderful because not only did your filehippo.com have the version I wanted v4.0.2742, but it also had the next and final build of the 4.0 series v4.0.2746 - and so it was double treat!

I've always had GE installed on my WXP & W2K partitions but I will also once again attempt to get it going on W98SE - the last time I did it and you can see I posted all the details about it earlier in the thread, I could not get it to run and I'm pretty handy... I tried every single thing you or I could think of, I mean there's nothing I didn't do, port forward 80 on the NAT, then even removed the NAT completely just in case; also gave GE server rights via my SF.. and then even removed that too.. also had googles three servers in the Trusted Zone, and of course have unicows and the right atl71.dll, etc... I did everything but still no go.. ..I finally left it be then.

I will try again on Friday and this time I will do the simple hexing myself, and manual file changes needed using my own files from GE which now I'll upgrad 2k/xp to this version too, so I will have that versions files first hand and do it meself...

If I can't get it to work I may come back and post for final ideas before I shoot it <g>

Rick, I'm having exactly the same problem. GE only fully loads when there is no internet connection present or something other prevents it from contacting its servers (uTorrent having opened too many connections, for example). Then it says that I'll only be able to browse the cache, but since I don't have any cache, I only get the sky.

No software firewall, no antivirus, nothing. Just the Linksys WRT54GL router, but laptop computer with XP, connected to this same router, has no problems. Actually, it does have a similar problem when GE runs in Directx mode: it hangs on the same message, just then another message appears saying something bad about Directx mode. Then I force it to run in OpenGl mode, it displays a message that now it will run in OpenGl, and then runs fine.

On win98, command line parameter -setOGL has no result, as well as -setDX. Note that GE does not display the message about it being forced to run in said mode; maybe forcing to run in OpenGl doesn't work?

I had a few hours to play with it, and tried all different v4.0.xxx versions and had better luck with some than others, meaning I can get some to work offline, and occasionally one to go online and work however only for that one session until they write data into the dbCache.dat and registry that debunks it on the next run and you have to keep reverting it.. grumble, p.i.t.a ..it's almost like they are intentionally trying not to let 9x run attempts to succeeded.. ..But for those of you who Today currently still Can get it to log in online, and you can run a fly around 'Each And Every Time You Log in' ...then more power to you because I cannot - certainly I would like to know what you have different on your setup than mine.. ..unless when I log in to GE servers on the east coast of the US they are different (more strict counter measures?) than where you are logging in..?

Anyway, it works excellent on my W2Kpro & WXPro partitions and so this is not a big deal to me at all, it is just for the heck of it I wanted to put it on my Win98SE partition too..

(dtamonis, I use OpenGL since that works better 'for me' and I could clearly see it gives me more responsive/faster display rendering than DirectX with my graphics (nVidia GeForce 6600GT) ..but anyway for this 9x problem that does not seem to be the issue anyway since it's something to do with their login and acceptance parameters.. ..or whatever they are doing. GE is not as stable on w98 anyway and with each new 4.0.xx build shows that it gets fussier, and especially for v4.1 versions no one is going to tell me they can get it to work on 9x that's for sure since they've changed the setup even moreso..)

I don't see anywhere that aluigi has done anymore with this other than this one article

http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/gearth9x.txt

http://aluigi.altervista.org/index.htm

..it's time for us to leave 9x anyway isn't it <g>

Edited by Rick Chauvin

I had a few hours to play with it, and tried all different v4.0.xxx versions and had better luck with some than others, meaning I can get some to work offline, and occasionally one to go online and work however only for that one session until they write data into the dbCache.dat <snip>

I always use google earth online. Have a GeForce 6200 (512MB). Works pretty consistently. Here's some data. Maybe it'll help...

server: kh.google.com

Google Earth 4.0.2742

Renderer OpenGL

Video Driver: NVIDIA Corporation (00004.00014.00010.08198)

[...]

I always use google earth online. Have a GeForce 6200 (512MB). Works pretty consistently. Here's some data. Maybe it'll help...

[...]

Video Driver: NVIDIA Corporation (4.14.10.8198)

Well Analada glancing at your driver version 81.98 reminded me why I never used that driver version in the first place since it gives me protection errors on shutdown - so I never left it installed and stayed with v77.72, but for the 'heck of it' I installed 81.98 again this morning... and I almost fell out of my chair to see that Google Earth works fine everytime online or offline now... (protection error on shutdown is still there but I will deal with that issue later, maybe even try msfn's v82.69 driver)

I guess before for me it was the GE program hanging up with my system rather than what it was doing as shown in my beginning screenshots showing it hanging on server login, and so naturally I stayed with that theory since that's what it showed - and because of that who would of thought it was anything else.. ..I'm glad on a whim I checked it out nevertheless. Thanks Analada for your reply..

Anyway, since I already had all my GE v4.0.2746 files in place on W98SE so I just transferred my 250MB of saved GE tours data file (dbCache.dat) and also the saved places (Myplaces.kml) files from my W2K install and so my GE on 9x is all up to date with my touring cache and ready to go.

(I still don't think the new GE 4.1 series will work on 9x though)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now dtamonis explain again what your system setup is, and what your GE is doing, and exactly what any errors are.

[...]

[...]

Video Driver: NVIDIA Corporation (4.14.10.8198)

Well Analada glancing at your driver version 81.98 reminded me why I never used that driver version in the first place since it gives me protection errors on shutdown - so I never left it installed and stayed with v77.72, but for the 'heck of it' I installed 81.98 again this morning... and I almost fell out of my chair to see that Google Earth works fine everytime online or offline now... (protection error on shutdown is still there but I will deal with that issue later, maybe even try msfn's v82.69 driver)

I guess before for me it was the GE program hanging up with my system rather than what it was doing as shown in my beginning screenshots showing it hanging on server login, and so naturally I stayed with that theory since that's what it showed - and because of that who would of thought it was anything else.. ..I'm glad on a whim I checked it out nevertheless. Thanks Analada for your reply..

Anyway, since I already had all my GE v4.0.2746 files in place on W98SE so I just transferred my 250MB of saved GE tours data file (dbCache.dat) and also the saved places (Myplaces.kml) files from my W2K install and so my GE on 9x is all up to date with my touring cache and ready to go.

(I still don't think the new GE 4.1 series will work on 9x though)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now dtamonis explain again what your system setup is, and what your GE is doing, and exactly what any errors are.

Hey, glad it worked out for you :thumbup

About your shut down problem. I found that it was to do with the Nvidia stuff, specifically Nvidia control panel and Nvidia nvsvc.exe. Both disabled using msconfig.

I also found that "Restart in MS DOS Mode" gave a very good clean shutdown. (Strange but true).

Hey, glad it worked out for you :thumbup

About your shut down problem. I found that it was to do with the Nvidia stuff, specifically Nvidia control panel and Nvidia nvsvc.exe. Both disabled using msconfig.

I also found that "Restart in MS DOS Mode" gave a very good clean shutdown. (Strange but true).

I run a very tight ship and so naturally on nVidia driver installs the first thing I always did is to remove the not needed NvMediaCenter & nwiz & NVSvc stuff out of Run & Run Services, and yes I had already noticed that whether I either just Restart, or Restart in MS-DOS it works fine and I can get out from there without the protection error, but Shutdown still gets it. I do not want to make this thread about this protection error though since it's good to keep it just about GE (and I'm not concerned about the protection error at all since I'm well capable of easily bringing that to a resolve one way or the other, but these 81.98 drivers will have to go because I remembered...and just checked again that they still break the famous SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 2 programs graphics, and we won't have any of that!..so the drivers imo are faulty on for me two counts, however they are blessed just for today though <smile> since they gave me the answer for running GE on 9x <g> I will update on another day to later than 81.98 drivers for 9x either with msfn's version, or anothers, and hopefully that will clear me from these two issues.. ..but GE works a charm <vbg>!