Indexing Service

Scheid

I have created a very lite Vista and I am testing it on a virtual PC. It seems vlite removed the "Indexing Options" in the Control Panel. Is it because I removed Windows search in vLite?? I don't know but anyway I wanted to remove it so that's fine. However when I check the properties of my drives, Vista still checks the mark "Index this drive for faster searching"!!?? When I want to uncheck it I get errors on some of the files: Ignore All > it finishes OK and the box is unchecked.

I also looked at the services and the "Indexing Service" has disapeared in Vista (even in full install)! So I can't disable it... (same as the CD/DVD burning service ><)

Anyone knows if what I did is enough to remove the indexing of the system?

Any comment is welcome! Thanks!

I have created a very lite Vista and I am testing it on a virtual PC. It seems vlite removed the "Indexing Options" in the Control Panel. Is it because I removed Windows search in vLite?? I don't know but anyway I wanted to remove it so that's fine. However when I check the properties of my drives, Vista still checks the mark "Index this drive for faster searching"!!?? When I want to uncheck it I get errors on some of the files: Ignore All > it finishes OK and the box is unchecked.

I also looked at the services and the "Indexing Service" has disapeared in Vista (even in full install)! So I can't disable it... (same as the CD/DVD burning service ><)

Anyone knows if what I did is enough to remove the indexing of the system?

Any comment is welcome! Thanks!

Windows Search is the indexing service. You will always get errors when unchecking the indexing service, since some system files are locked, so errors are expected. You may also have to go in and remove the scheduled task that indexes your drives, but normally that goes away when you uncheck index my drives.

As for anoymous_person, Just removing Windows Search does not remove indexing. Windows Vista in Indexed by default, so you must uncheck the box to remove the old indexes.

Windows Search is the indexing service. You will always get errors when unchecking the indexing service, since some system files are locked, so errors are expected. You may also have to go in and remove the scheduled task that indexes your drives, but normally that goes away when you uncheck index my drives.

As for anoymous_person, Just removing Windows Search does not remove indexing. Windows Vista in Indexed by default, so you must uncheck the box to remove the old indexes.

Thanks Avien!

I have removed the Task scheduler also, so I guess this is the maximum I can do!