Nerds at School

Idontwantspam

Two funny nerd jokes, both true stories changed to be funnier, based on what a friend of mine said about a day at school recently.

The first "nerdy" event happened in P.E.

They were playing volleyball. The person with the ball walked up to the nerd and said "Do you want to be the server?" The nerd replied "Who me? No way! I'm a workstation, not a server!" The other kid looked at him with a blank stare. "huh?" "Oh, never mind," said the nerd. "No, I don't want to."

Later that day in math class, the teacher was talking and said "Now, open your books and turn to page 404." The (same) nerd, without even opening his book, replied "I can't find it!". The teacher didn't understand, "Just turn to page 404! It's there... the one after page 403!" The nerd quickly responded "but I'm not allowed to go to page 403!" The teacher, getting mad, was about to come over and show the student where the page was. "never mind, here it is," he said, rolling his eyes. :rolleyes:

OK, that's it, any other nerdy stories are welcome!

Later that day in math class, the teacher was talking and said "Now, open your books and turn to page 404." The (same) nerd, without even opening his book, replied "I can't find it!". The teacher didn't understand, "Just turn to page 404! It's there... the one after page 403!" The nerd quickly responded "but I'm not allowed to go to page 403!" The teacher, getting mad, was about to come over and show the student where the page was. "never mind, here it is," he said, rolling his eyes. :rolleyes:

I think that's pretty funny! :thumbup

as-sassin

I've cracked a few number jokes a few times... All I got were blank stares...

I get quite a few of those sometimes...

well i think your confused. your talking about a geek, not a nerd. geeks are for computers and nerds are for school type things :)

we have some good conversations at my school.

Well, it's highly debated. Around here, we consider ourselves nerds. As in computer/technology-oriented people. What we have decided on is the following:

• Nerds are interested/focused on computers, technology and school.
  • Geeks are the same, only they don't care about school so much, and they might even be somewhat stupid with the exception of technology.

I don't mind being called a geek, but I prefer being called a nerd. It's never really been decided which is which, so I use them somewhat interchangeably.

I can tell you're a geek (no offense, I don't think you're stupid ;)) because you wrote

well i think your confused.

I think you meant to say you're confused, as in you are confused, contracted. ;)

OK EVERYONE! Bring on the other nerd/geek jokes! Anything that warrants a blank stare from Joe Average is pootential material! :lol:

Idontwantspam-lol, we have good conversations on this board too. of coarse im a geek, although most people have no idea.

now to your definitions, i have NEVER in my life met someone who is amazing smart in school that is interested/focused on computers/technology. and i am definetly focused on that and not on school... thats why i say a nerd is only school related..

Idontwantspam-lol, we have good conversations on this board too. of coarse im a geek, although most people have no idea.

now to your definitions, i have NEVER in my life met someone who is amazing smart in school that is interested/focused on computers/technology. and i am definetly focused on that and not on school... thats why i say a nerd is only school related..

Well, you've never met me, I suppose. :rolleyes: I have about a 4.2 GPA. On a 0-4 scale, thanks to having some classes with weighted grades. Also, though I don't know everything about computers, I know a lot more than most people (people on this board do not count as "most people" :no: ). Good at reading and the registry ;). Now most people I hang out with are either somewhat good at school and ok at computers or ok at computers and real good at school. But I do know several who are good at both. So nerd could be either, I suppose. I smell a poll coming... nerd or geek? What do they mean to you? :w00t:

Oh, and my school isn't technology-focused. Hardly any tech-related classes. :angry: Intro to Microsoft Office! Yipee... all stuff I knew long ago. And besides, who uses office 2000 any more?

Time to be annoying and post some deffinitions

nerd:

1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.

2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

geek:

1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.

2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)

3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

so which do you prefer?

Edited by awergh

Hmmm. Most of the people in the scene here (Austria) use geek to mean someone who understands technology and is interested in it. It doesn't say anything else about that person, though many geeks aren't really social animals.

Nerd on the other hand has a distinctive negative connotation and doesn't imply any expertise at all. I would much rather be a geek than a nerd! :^)

Hmmm. Most of the people in the scene here (Austria) use geek to mean someone who understands technology and is interested in it. It doesn't say anything else about that person, though many geeks aren't really social animals.

Nerd on the other hand has a distinctive negative connotation and doesn't imply any expertise at all. I would much rather be a geek than a nerd! :^)

I think it's regional. We nerds take pride in our status. The geeks are like us, but dumber. It's just different in different parts of the world. The nerds are sometimes more social, nice people than the geeks, and are usually smarter. Both parties involved tend to be interested in/like/be good at computers.

I prefer Nerd to Geek. As to awergh's post, where did those definitions come from? I would classify myself under those as Geek #2, but also Nerd #2 only not mono-focused.

Edited by Idontwantspam

• 2 weeks later...