Screenshooting issues

Idontwantspam

Every time I try to take a screenshot of one of the following screens, it doesn't work. Either nothing happens, or I get an error dialog. This is if I'm using the Print-Screen key, an image program with screen capture utilities (like the GIMP), or screen-recording software (used to make flash videos of the screen).

• Logon Screens, such as the Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen, the Enter Username and Password screen, Legal Notice screen, etc.
  • Computer Locked screens, such as Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Enter Username and Password.
  • Windows Security dialog screens, such as Change Password.
  • "Windows is Starting Up", "Applying Computer Settings", "Logging on", "Applying your Personal Settings", "Logging off", "Shutting Down", etc.
  • Any screen pretty much where there's a "secure desktop" instance, such as all Ctrl-Alt-Del related things, as well as any other screen where the desktop disappears and there's just a background and some dialog.
  • The task manager shows up fine, as does the Welcome Screen, though the "Classic" logon doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure this is because Microsoft wants to make it harder to spoof certain screens like logon screens, etc, but I have seen screenshots of these screens on the web. Search Google Images for Windows XP Ctrl Alt Del, and you will see some examples. How do people take screenshots of screens like this that are "protected"?

The easiest way to do it is to use a VM (Virtual Machine). Just download Virtual PC 2007 or VMWare then do a test install of WinXP. Don't configure them to run fullscreen. When you do that you'll take a screenshot of the VM window itself with XP running within the VM at the screens you want...then just edit the screenshot to remove the VPC/VMWare parts.

Would I need a new XP license? I've never used a VM. Could you tell me a little more... please? I'm kinda clueless about this... :blushing: What do you mean by a "test install"? I have an OEM copy of Windows XP Media Center, just for the record.

UPDATE:

I found the Virtual PC 2007 website, and it says I would need Windows XP Professional to run it... since Windows XP Media Center 2005 is based on XP Pro, would it still work, or not? I have yet to look at VMware, and will go do that now.

UPDATE:

It looks like I would have to buy VMware, I don't want to do that, so I guess Virtual PC is my best option, if it will work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Idontwantspam

Use VirtualBox which is freeware. No you don't need a new license. You install Windows XP MCE virtually the same way you would locally and just take a screenshot of the Windows Logon screen.

OK, I got MS Virtual PC installed, and made a new virtual machine, it launched and doesn't do anything. I apologize for my ignorance :blushing: , now do I put in the OEM Reinstall DVD? I think that's what it wants me to do, but I'm not sure. And will I have to activate Windows? It would be nice if there were a way to just boot up the already installed XP into the VM as a separate one if you know what I mean, but I don't think that's possible.

Yes, your new virtual machine is like a new PC, you need to "boot it" from a CD/DVD (you'll have to find out how to, I've only ever used VirtualBox which boots the CD by default) and install Windows on it. As said before, you can use XP long enough to take your screen shots before you have to activate.

WARNING!

Do not use Virtual Box (not to be confused with Virtual PC) if you have Windows XP. I got a bluescreen when I tried, and it screwed up my USB devices (see this post: here). If anyone knows more info, please post in the post mentioned above, but I highly recommend you don't use Virtual Box until more is found out. Virtual PC works fine, but it's Microsoft, and so it should work with microsoft software.