Driver DVD with Full DriverPacks with Sysprep

zeuss14

Hy guys,

I'm working on a full generic DVD which can be used to install Win XP on every type of PC.

At the moment, I create a DVD with Nlite and I included all DriverPacks whith the second methode (not with the $OEM$ the other). This DVD works fine. I try to install Windows with this DVD on 3 computers and all the hardware was detected and the driver works fine.

Now I want to use Norton Ghost and Sysprep in oder to can deploy the ghost image on a lot of computer by using Norton Ghost multicast deployment.

To make the Ghost image, I just install Windows with the DVD on a computer, run sysprep with "–bmsd", add BuildMassStorageSection = Yes in sysprep.inf and finally run sysprep –reseal -mini

For now, I just make some test by retoring the image from one computer to an other. But it didn't work. It seams that it is an HAL problem.

I try to deploy my image on 3 computers with different HAL, and it work in the 2 firsts and not in the last.

The last freeze during the first boot, and after rebooting the computer I alway get the black screen where I have to choose how windows should boot (Boot windows normaly, failed safe mode ...) and with each mode after some seconds the computer always reboot.

If it can help the the tow first (working) were :

- HP Compaq d530 CMT

- HP Compaq DC 7700

and the last (not working) :

- HP Vectra VL400 DT

Moreover the Ghost Image was buit from the DC 7700.

I hope you can help me to correct this pb.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

PS : I'm french so sorry if my english is not very good.

without either a third party program like the Universal Imaging utility from Binary Research, or scripting to detect and replace the HAL you will only be able to cover two of the HAL's.

You can build the image on a ACPI Multiprocessor HAL and use the sysprep answer file and the UpdateUPHAL to detect if the destination machine is a uniprocessor HAL and install the appropriate HAL or leave it alone. If you need to deplaoy across more HAL types than this you need additional solutions. Or go to vista which has eliminated this problem.

For reference there are 7 default HAl types.

ACPI

ACPI Uniprocessor

ACPI Multiprocessor

Standard HAL

MCP Uniprocessor

MCP Multiprocessor

Compaq

Finally I found a Script which detect the HAL and change it in the sysprep.inf and it works :thumbup

Universal Imaging Tools seems to be a good solution but very expensive because you have to buy a licence for every PC you want to install with the modifier image. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this script to be very helpful in my attempt to create an all-in-one Windows image. Here is how I went about getting it all to work:

1. Create BartPE from Windows 2003 w/ SP1 source.

2. Enable RpcSS DComLaunch PlugIn. In addition, the DcomLaunch.Inf file needs to be modified in that Addreg.2600 section needs to be renamed into Addreg.3790 section

3. Add the following to custom.inf:

[sourceDisksFiles]

vssapi.dll=2

4. Create a batch file that re-images the PC, runs diskpart and then the vbs. (For some reason, diskpart needs to run before the vbs in order for it to work, but with the batch file, it's not a big deal!)

I setup my bartpe disc to start and autorun the batch file that images the pc, runs diskpart and runs the hal script and restarts. Makes my life so much easier.

After doing this, I was able to successfully reimage the machine and run the vbs script.

Edited by TheReasonIFail

• 2 weeks later...
MySysprep sorta works. It does allow changing to the correct HAL, BUT you have to know every model you have specifically. That's a pain, and you have to keep it updated.

New: Version 1.2: MySysprep can detect the number of a CPU's logical processors. This feature is implemented by using the CPUID instruction to query the vendor ID and the logical processor count (inlcuding Hyper-Threading and multi-core) . To use this feature, a section [CPU] has to be added to MySysprep.inf. The entry name is the vendor ID with a ".MP" or ".UP" suffix. For example.

[CPU]

GenuineIntel.MP=mp.inf

GenuineIntel.UP=up.inf